Sailing with Nine of Cups

Vessel Name: Nine of Cups
Vessel Make/Model: Liberty 458
Hailing Port: Denver, Colorado, USA
Crew: Marcie & David
About: We've lived aboard Nine of Cups since 2000 and have managed to accumulate 86,000+ nm under the keel since that time. We completed a circumnavigation in April 2015 and managed to sail around the five great southern capes. Come along with us for the ride!
Extra:
Visit our website at www.nineofcups.com for more photos and info about Nine of Cups and her crew. We also have a more extensive blogsite at www.justalittlefurther.com. Are some of our links broken? Links break from time to time. Please let us know which ones are broken and we'll fix them. You [...]
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA
07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA
06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia
30 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
29 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
28 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
27 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
26 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
25 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
24 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
23 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
22 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
21 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
20 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
19 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
18 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
17 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
Recent Blog Posts
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA

Happy 2017!

Happy New Year, Everyone!

07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA

Taking a breather ...

Since we'll be off the boat during July and August, we plan to post only three times per week. The Captain will continue writing a practical Blue View post each week, we'll keep you up to date on what's happening with us and then throw in some cruising nuggets as well.

06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Keeping fit

We’ve written before about keeping fit on the boat. David is so much better at a regimented exercise program than I am. I have all the best intentions, but I can always think of something better to do than sit-ups, push-ups, leg lifts and running in place. It doesn’t take much to distract me. Walking, [...]

04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Happy 240th Birthday, America

Growing up in New England, I took for granted just how lovely a summer’s morning can be in Massachusetts. It’s comfortably cool and everything smells clean and fresh. Spider webs glisten with morning dew and it’s just great to be alive and breathe in the new day. Being back at Lin’s house conjures up wonderful childhood memories of summer mornings past. And this is not just any morning … it’s the 4th of July, the best holiday of the summertime in the USA.

02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Leaving Cups and a Road Trip

Leaving Nine of Cups is never easy. We know she’ll pout while we’re gone and so we do our best to make sure she’s as comfortable as possible before we leave. We were whirling dervishes trying to get everything ready.

01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia

Hunting & Gathering - Virginia Beach

We had lots to do before leaving Cups. David was intent on getting as many chores done in advance of our departure as possible so that once we return in September, we can spend time sailing in the Chesapeake rather than doing repairs and maintenance. Much of what we needed in the way of parts and supplies, [...]

Tasmania Wooden Boat Centre

12 January 2013 | Port Huon, TAS
Marcie
Franklin is the oldest township on the Huon River. It's a tiny little port town about 10km from Kermandie. Situated on Shipwright's Point, it boasts an antique shop, a post office, a cafe and the Wooden Boat Centre. We'd read about the Centre which is "dedicated to preserving the traditional craft/trade of wooden boat building." They have an interpretive center with viewing windows through which visitors can watch the students and craftsmen at work. Mary Anne had business in that direction and offered us a ride.

Shipbuilding is part of the culture and history of Tasmania and the Wooden Boat Centre proudly contributes to the "celebration of the traditional values around wooden boats, boating, the (Huon) river and its life." Established in 1990 as a wooden boatbuilding school, the Centre offers accredited courses in the craft and is "the only school in the world in which ... students undertake the construction of a full-sized, sea-going cruising vessel built in solid timber as their major learning project." That made me think schooners and barques, but the boats we saw, though definitely seaworthy, were in the 20-30' range.

The courses offered include building and/or restoring your own wooden boat. A sponsor will either commission a new boat to be built or provide an old wooden boat that needs restoration and the Centre takes it on as a project. That's pretty impressive. We were hoping they had something in the works when we visited and we were in luck.

There seemed to be no classes in session, so we were able to wander through the work shed on an informal tour and get a hands-on, up-close look at the works in progress. Five boats in different phases of completion were awaiting attention in the workshed. A big issue nowadays is access to the rare woods originally used in Tasmania's boatbuilding history...King Billy pine and Huon pine are "rare as hen's teeth", quipped our guide. Restoring old boats like Clara, a current project, is an excellent alternative to starting anew. At 120 years old, Clara will hopefully be good as new and back to her original self in time for the upcoming Wooden Boat Festival in February.

The rich, distinctive smell of the recently cut wood was wonderful. Planks and chunks of wood stood on end, waiting their turn to be employed. Woodworking and shipwright tools hung on the walls. Feeling the smooth timbers and admiring the boats close-up gave me a feel for the knowledge and patience required for this craft.

I especially liked the clinker (aka lapstrake), a small open boat with overlapping planks, the size of a dory. The guide explained the process of steaming the planks to make them pliable enough to be bent into shape. The beveled planks are so tightly fitted, that the copper nails still used to attach them is all that is required to make the boat water tight. This boat building technique traces back to the Vikings.
We'll miss the bi-annual Wooden Boat Festival in Tasmania, but you can check out their website to learn more.
I also increased my nautical vocabulary with the help of a small quiz I took in the Visitor's Centre. Words like futtock, sny, joggle and trunnel were new to me and will be good for Words With Friends. I had to look them up. Oh...and you were thinking I'd share the definitions? I will... tomorrow.

More pix and links? Visit www.justalittlefurther.com
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups
SailBlogs Friends
LONG WHITE CLOUD
Leu Cat
Carinthia
SANGARIS
Migaloo
Asylum
Tiger Lilly
Thorfinn
Hello World
Halekai
Tender Spirit
Valiam
Talacam
MACCABEE
Annecam
HooRoo
Echo Echo