Sailing with Nine of Cups

Vessel Name: Nine of Cups
Vessel Make/Model: Liberty 458
Hailing Port: Denver, Colorado, USA
Crew: Marcie & David
About: We've lived aboard Nine of Cups since 2000 and have managed to accumulate 86,000+ nm under the keel since that time. We completed a circumnavigation in April 2015 and managed to sail around the five great southern capes. Come along with us for the ride!
Extra:
Visit our website at www.nineofcups.com for more photos and info about Nine of Cups and her crew. We also have a more extensive blogsite at www.justalittlefurther.com. Are some of our links broken? Links break from time to time. Please let us know which ones are broken and we'll fix them. You [...]
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA
07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA
06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia
30 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
29 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
28 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
27 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
26 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
25 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
24 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
23 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
22 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
21 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
20 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
19 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
18 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
17 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
Recent Blog Posts
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA

Happy 2017!

Happy New Year, Everyone!

07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA

Taking a breather ...

Since we'll be off the boat during July and August, we plan to post only three times per week. The Captain will continue writing a practical Blue View post each week, we'll keep you up to date on what's happening with us and then throw in some cruising nuggets as well.

06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Keeping fit

We’ve written before about keeping fit on the boat. David is so much better at a regimented exercise program than I am. I have all the best intentions, but I can always think of something better to do than sit-ups, push-ups, leg lifts and running in place. It doesn’t take much to distract me. Walking, [...]

04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Happy 240th Birthday, America

Growing up in New England, I took for granted just how lovely a summer’s morning can be in Massachusetts. It’s comfortably cool and everything smells clean and fresh. Spider webs glisten with morning dew and it’s just great to be alive and breathe in the new day. Being back at Lin’s house conjures up wonderful childhood memories of summer mornings past. And this is not just any morning … it’s the 4th of July, the best holiday of the summertime in the USA.

02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Leaving Cups and a Road Trip

Leaving Nine of Cups is never easy. We know she’ll pout while we’re gone and so we do our best to make sure she’s as comfortable as possible before we leave. We were whirling dervishes trying to get everything ready.

01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia

Hunting & Gathering - Virginia Beach

We had lots to do before leaving Cups. David was intent on getting as many chores done in advance of our departure as possible so that once we return in September, we can spend time sailing in the Chesapeake rather than doing repairs and maintenance. Much of what we needed in the way of parts and supplies, [...]

Up Tasmania's East Coast

23 January 2013 | Maria Island, TAS
Marcie
The 40 mile passage to Maria Island was cold and raw, but benign. It's easy to forget it's summer here since the temps remain cool for the most part. We left Port Arthur and headed down the bay just after dawn. We could see the Tasman Island Lighthouse perched atop the ragged cliffs of the island far above us. Built in 1906, Tasman Island Light sits solitary, ~900' (278m) above the sea, making it one of the highest lighthouses in Australia. The southwest swell kicked up the sea and we had a washing machine of a ride until we rounded Tasman Island and then set our sails and headed north. The following seas and southerly winds worked in our favor for a quick ride up the coast.

Rafts of sooty shearwaters floated in our path and took off in unison as we approached. Prions hovered over the waves and a shy albatross circled above them looking for breakfast. Dolphins made a quick appearance as did sea lions, but they disappeared too quickly for photos. We spotted smoke intermittently on the treed hills ashore; the bushfires remain unchecked in some areas.

Had the day been clear, we could have spotted Maria Island much sooner, but with the smoky haze still clouding the air, we didn't spot it until we were about 15 miles away. This mountainous little island has served as a penal colony, a limestone quarry and farmland and it's now a National Park in its entirety and we were headed there for some hiking. Mount Maria at 2,333' (711m) dominates the view.

We anchored on the island's west coast in Chinaman's Bay, popular with cruisers for its comfortably shallow anchorage, white sand beaches and access to bushwalks. Unfortunately, by the time we anchored the wind was blowing near 30 kts which made the task of launching the dinghy more like flying a kite. We decided to wait. The forecast called for more of the same for the next three days, but backing to west and southwest. After a fairly calm night, the wind increased again by early morning and we opted to head across the Mercury Passage to the little town of Triabunna. Maria Island would have to wait.

Only 12 miles from anchorage to anchorage, this short trip was the stuff dreams are made of. We were close-hauled, wind 40º off the nose, but we managed to slip along in 20-25 knot winds up and across the Mercury Passage. Once in the lee of the mainland, the seas calmed and the wind clocked just enough to allow a smooth, easy passage to the anchorage in Spring Bay. We could see the entrance to the long, well-marked channel into town, but once again the shallow channel depths kept us anchored in the bay.

Changes of plan are typical for cruisers and the norm for us, in particular. You have to go with the wind and the tides and the currents … and your whims. The winds were in charge this day. We'll see what there is to see and do in Triabunna and wait for an opportunity to visit Maria Island when the winds are more cooperative.

By the way, for anyone interested in seeing Yanks try Vegemite for the first time, be sure to check the blog on Australia Day (January 26th) as we open our virgin jar and give this iconic Australian concoction a go.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups
SailBlogs Friends
LONG WHITE CLOUD
Leu Cat
Carinthia
SANGARIS
Migaloo
Asylum
Tiger Lilly
Thorfinn
Hello World
Halekai
Tender Spirit
Valiam
Talacam
MACCABEE
Annecam
HooRoo
Echo Echo