Sailing with Nine of Cups

Vessel Name: Nine of Cups
Vessel Make/Model: Liberty 458
Hailing Port: Denver, Colorado, USA
Crew: Marcie & David
About: We've lived aboard Nine of Cups since 2000 and have managed to accumulate 86,000+ nm under the keel since that time. We completed a circumnavigation in April 2015 and managed to sail around the five great southern capes. Come along with us for the ride!
Extra:
Visit our website at www.nineofcups.com for more photos and info about Nine of Cups and her crew. We also have a more extensive blogsite at www.justalittlefurther.com. Are some of our links broken? Links break from time to time. Please let us know which ones are broken and we'll fix them. You [...]
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA
07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA
06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia
30 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
29 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
28 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
27 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
26 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
25 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
24 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
23 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
22 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
21 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
20 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
19 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
18 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
17 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
Recent Blog Posts
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA

Happy 2017!

Happy New Year, Everyone!

07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA

Taking a breather ...

Since we'll be off the boat during July and August, we plan to post only three times per week. The Captain will continue writing a practical Blue View post each week, we'll keep you up to date on what's happening with us and then throw in some cruising nuggets as well.

06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Keeping fit

We’ve written before about keeping fit on the boat. David is so much better at a regimented exercise program than I am. I have all the best intentions, but I can always think of something better to do than sit-ups, push-ups, leg lifts and running in place. It doesn’t take much to distract me. Walking, [...]

04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Happy 240th Birthday, America

Growing up in New England, I took for granted just how lovely a summer’s morning can be in Massachusetts. It’s comfortably cool and everything smells clean and fresh. Spider webs glisten with morning dew and it’s just great to be alive and breathe in the new day. Being back at Lin’s house conjures up wonderful childhood memories of summer mornings past. And this is not just any morning … it’s the 4th of July, the best holiday of the summertime in the USA.

02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Leaving Cups and a Road Trip

Leaving Nine of Cups is never easy. We know she’ll pout while we’re gone and so we do our best to make sure she’s as comfortable as possible before we leave. We were whirling dervishes trying to get everything ready.

01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia

Hunting & Gathering - Virginia Beach

We had lots to do before leaving Cups. David was intent on getting as many chores done in advance of our departure as possible so that once we return in September, we can spend time sailing in the Chesapeake rather than doing repairs and maintenance. Much of what we needed in the way of parts and supplies, [...]

Chiloe - Gateway to Patagonia

02 May 2013 | Boston, USA
Marcie
Isla Grande de Chiloé is Chile's largest island. It's about 118 miles long and averages about 35-40 miles wide. A history of local resistance and a rich mythology populated by trolls, sea monsters, and eerie ghost ships differentiates Chilote culture from mainland Chile and uniquely sets it apart from the rest of the country. Renowned for its seafood, woolen handicrafts and the warmth of its people, Chiloé is still a largely unknown destination and as such, even in "high season" (Nov-March), the island and the archipelago are relatively uncrowded.

Divided by the gentle slopes of the Coastal Range, Chiloé's eastern and western coasts are dynamically different. To the west is wilderness comprised of never-ending beaches, dunes and temperate rain forests... much of it within the confines of and protected by Parque Nacional Chiloé. To the east are the scattered islands of the Chiloé archipelago. Beautiful, remote and sheltered from Pacific storms, these little islands are intensely cultivated and home to a traditional culture of farmers, fishermen and craftsmen.

We traveled aboard Nine of Cups and motor-sailed between islands, but regular passenger and car/bus ferry service is available from Puerto Montt on the mainland across the Canal de Chacao to Ancud, a port on Chiloe's north end. The ferry ride itself, though short, can be very exciting with dolphins swimming along side the ferry, a tremendous amount of birdlife and the snow-topped Andes in the distance.

From Ancud, you can take a bus to Castro, the capital "city" of Chiloe. In fact, Castro is the island's only city and though small, there's a well-stocked, modern supermarket (Beckna), basic hardware, lots of visitor services including backpacker lodges, hotels, restaurants and tour options plus laundry, internet, and an outstanding "feria" (fresh market) The crafts market on the waterfront offers the usual souvenir-type trinkets, but also lots of locally knitted woolen wear including knitted dolls that are unique to the island. Smaller ferries are available from Castro to most of the arger islands in the archipelago.

There is so much to see and appreciate in this area, we could have spent the entire season and still not seen it all. For sailors, "Patagonia & Tierra del Fuego Nautical Guide" by Rolfo and Ardrizzi (aka "the Italian guide") is the best reference available. Navtech electronic charts were excellent and detailed for the area, but the tide tables were way off. We relied heavily on Lonely Planet Chile for all of our land travel.

Here's just a sampling of what we saw...


Estéro Pindo/Isla Quehui - The little village of Los Angeles has a traditional, wooden church which you can visit; a small café which offers beverages and meals when given advance notice; a small mini-mart offers basics, some fresh veggies and fresh bread. We hiked around the area (all green, rolling hills and dirt roads/paths) and picked wild blackberries which are in abundance throughout the islands here in late February. A short ferry ride across the bay offers another hiking opportunity and another church to photograph plus great vistas from the top of the hill.

Estéro Pailad / Chiloé - For us, this was the essence of remote Chiloe. We anchored just in front of a tiny village with a picturesque wooden church, sheep, cattle and horses grazing on its front lawn. The birdlife was astounding. Several pairs of black necked swans swam gracefully past us. Magellanic penguins , Chilean widgeons, speckled teals, steamer ducks, whimbrels, oystercatchers, southern lapwings and an entire beach covered with Hudsonian godwits were among the many identified. Yes, we did need our bird guide to identify most of these birds. Birds of Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego and Antarctic Peninsula by Couve & Vidal was an excellent reference book. Sea lions and dolphins were in this estuary as well. It was crowded in all the right ways!

Marina Quinched / Chiloé - Located in Quinched on the Canal Lemuy, mainland Chiloe, William and Vanessa Bannister operate a small marina and lodge that could not have been more perfect. The marina offers moorings and dock space and the lodge was comfortable and clean. Free wifi, free washer with a clothesline for drying, clean, hot showers, a playground and lots of room to run for kids. A cute little cafe with morning coffee and freshly baked pastries and a beautiful club house with a kitchenette and an inside BBQ for guest use were outstanding additions. William offered free rides into Castro and Puerto Chonchi almost daily.

Things to see and do if you go...
*Palafitos - the traditional houses on stilts which accommodate the huge tidal swings here
*Churches - These unique brightly colored wooden churches are seen in every small Chilote town. Take a close-up look ... inside and out.
*Unique, rich birdlife including native black-necked swans and Magellanic penguins and hundreds of other species
*The "feria" in Castro (fresh market) is outstanding. Look for the colored, oddly shaped potatoes and sample some locally smoked salmon or fresh seafood.
*Check out the woolen crafts especially the knitted dolls
*Sample a "curanto", a combination of seafood, veggies and meats, cooked in an underground pit...outstanding!

Lots more pictures...take a look at www.justalittlefurther.com
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups
SailBlogs Friends
LONG WHITE CLOUD
Leu Cat
Carinthia
SANGARIS
Migaloo
Asylum
Tiger Lilly
Thorfinn
Hello World
Halekai
Tender Spirit
Valiam
Talacam
MACCABEE
Annecam
HooRoo
Echo Echo