Sailing with Nine of Cups

Vessel Name: Nine of Cups
Vessel Make/Model: Liberty 458
Hailing Port: Denver, Colorado, USA
Crew: Marcie & David
About: We've lived aboard Nine of Cups since 2000 and have managed to accumulate 86,000+ nm under the keel since that time. We completed a circumnavigation in April 2015 and managed to sail around the five great southern capes. Come along with us for the ride!
Extra:
Visit our website at www.nineofcups.com for more photos and info about Nine of Cups and her crew. We also have a more extensive blogsite at www.justalittlefurther.com. Are some of our links broken? Links break from time to time. Please let us know which ones are broken and we'll fix them. You [...]
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA
07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA
06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia
30 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
29 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
28 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
27 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
26 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
25 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
24 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
23 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
22 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
21 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
20 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
19 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
18 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
17 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
Recent Blog Posts
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA

Happy 2017!

Happy New Year, Everyone!

07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA

Taking a breather ...

Since we'll be off the boat during July and August, we plan to post only three times per week. The Captain will continue writing a practical Blue View post each week, we'll keep you up to date on what's happening with us and then throw in some cruising nuggets as well.

06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Keeping fit

We’ve written before about keeping fit on the boat. David is so much better at a regimented exercise program than I am. I have all the best intentions, but I can always think of something better to do than sit-ups, push-ups, leg lifts and running in place. It doesn’t take much to distract me. Walking, [...]

04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Happy 240th Birthday, America

Growing up in New England, I took for granted just how lovely a summer’s morning can be in Massachusetts. It’s comfortably cool and everything smells clean and fresh. Spider webs glisten with morning dew and it’s just great to be alive and breathe in the new day. Being back at Lin’s house conjures up wonderful childhood memories of summer mornings past. And this is not just any morning … it’s the 4th of July, the best holiday of the summertime in the USA.

02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Leaving Cups and a Road Trip

Leaving Nine of Cups is never easy. We know she’ll pout while we’re gone and so we do our best to make sure she’s as comfortable as possible before we leave. We were whirling dervishes trying to get everything ready.

01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia

Hunting & Gathering - Virginia Beach

We had lots to do before leaving Cups. David was intent on getting as many chores done in advance of our departure as possible so that once we return in September, we can spend time sailing in the Chesapeake rather than doing repairs and maintenance. Much of what we needed in the way of parts and supplies, [...]

Supersititious Sailors

25 July 2013 | Boston, USA
Marcie
We sailors are a very superstitious lot, to the point of the ridiculous sometimes. We talked about refusing to be hauled on a Friday. We've delayed trips so as not to leave on a Friday. We hove-to off Pitcairn Island for five hours one time, then set sail at 12:01 am, so we didn't leave on a Friday. It was a good trip, so who knows if waiting made sense or not?

We always give Neptune a tot of rum when we leave on a passage and when we complete a passage. It doesn't hurt to ask for a little extra protection when you're out there. So far nothing fatal has occurred, so we're thinking it works. We were out of rum on a trip from Florida to Panama one time and toasted him with vodka instead. Evidently vodka is not one of his favorites because we had a rotten trip. The weather was crappy and the rudder arm broke as we were approaching the entrance to the Panama Canal zone. Though David jury-rigged it and we arrived safely, there were a few challenging moments ... all because we didn't have rum.

Renaming the boat was a major undertaking because it's considered the height of bad luck. We took the risk because the old name (that which is never mentioned) was not a good one. According to some, the only way to avoid bad luck when renaming a boat is to burn the boat to the waterline. That didn't seem like a viable option, so we had to do a considerable amount of research to come up with some reasonable ways to rename our new home and still stay in Neptune's good graces. It turned out that we had to de-name the boat in one ceremony first and then re-name it in a second ceremony. The more you know, huh?

The de-naming ceremony required us to take everything off the boat (including the name on the transom) that bore the previous name except for one piece of paper. After thanking Neptune for having kept the boat safe with its old name, David burned the final piece of paper and threw the ashes into the sea. The renaming ceremony was a bit more complicated and included, but was not limited to, a lock of hair from a red-haired virgin tied around a rabbit's foot, a bucket of sea water and copious amounts of champagne. During the ceremony, David asked Neptune to accept the new name of the boat and protect her and her crew. Not sure if it was the red hair, the rabbit's foot or the champagne, but who cares? So far, it's worked. We'll talk more about these ceremonies in another blog post.

We don't adhere to many of the other sailor's superstitions, and there quite a number of them. Never cut your hair or your nails on a boat ... these are considered offerings to other gods and Neptune will get jealous. No fresh flowers ... funerals at sea. No whistling...it encourages the wind to blow. Rabbits are bad luck...but we're not sure why (reminds sailors that they haven't had any in awhile?). No bananas ... who knows why, maybe you can slip on a banana peel?

Killing an albatross is bad luck (as if). Killing a seagull is bad luck ...they're the souls of men who have died at sea. Seeing a swallow at sea is good luck ... it means you're close to land. Cats on board are good luck ... they kill rodents (and potentially provide one extra meal...just kidding). Dolphins swimming beside the boat are good luck ... they relay Neptune's greetings and we like this one.

Women on board are considered bad luck. I think it's because they caused hard feelings between the crewmen who didn't have women for long months and those who were smiling more often. All I know is that on this boat, a woman (and I do mean singular woman, not women) is good luck and keeps the captain happy.

Pics and links? Head on over to www.justalittlefurther.com.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups
SailBlogs Friends
LONG WHITE CLOUD
Leu Cat
Carinthia
SANGARIS
Migaloo
Asylum
Tiger Lilly
Thorfinn
Hello World
Halekai
Tender Spirit
Valiam
Talacam
MACCABEE
Annecam
HooRoo
Echo Echo