Sailing with Nine of Cups

Vessel Name: Nine of Cups
Vessel Make/Model: Liberty 458
Hailing Port: Denver, Colorado, USA
Crew: Marcie & David
About: We've lived aboard Nine of Cups since 2000 and have managed to accumulate 86,000+ nm under the keel since that time. We completed a circumnavigation in April 2015 and managed to sail around the five great southern capes. Come along with us for the ride!
Extra:
Visit our website at www.nineofcups.com for more photos and info about Nine of Cups and her crew. We also have a more extensive blogsite at www.justalittlefurther.com. Are some of our links broken? Links break from time to time. Please let us know which ones are broken and we'll fix them. You [...]
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA
07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA
06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia
30 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
29 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
28 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
27 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
26 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
25 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
24 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
23 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
22 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
21 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
20 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
19 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
18 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
17 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
Recent Blog Posts
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA

Happy 2017!

Happy New Year, Everyone!

07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA

Taking a breather ...

Since we'll be off the boat during July and August, we plan to post only three times per week. The Captain will continue writing a practical Blue View post each week, we'll keep you up to date on what's happening with us and then throw in some cruising nuggets as well.

06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Keeping fit

We’ve written before about keeping fit on the boat. David is so much better at a regimented exercise program than I am. I have all the best intentions, but I can always think of something better to do than sit-ups, push-ups, leg lifts and running in place. It doesn’t take much to distract me. Walking, [...]

04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Happy 240th Birthday, America

Growing up in New England, I took for granted just how lovely a summer’s morning can be in Massachusetts. It’s comfortably cool and everything smells clean and fresh. Spider webs glisten with morning dew and it’s just great to be alive and breathe in the new day. Being back at Lin’s house conjures up wonderful childhood memories of summer mornings past. And this is not just any morning … it’s the 4th of July, the best holiday of the summertime in the USA.

02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Leaving Cups and a Road Trip

Leaving Nine of Cups is never easy. We know she’ll pout while we’re gone and so we do our best to make sure she’s as comfortable as possible before we leave. We were whirling dervishes trying to get everything ready.

01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia

Hunting & Gathering - Virginia Beach

We had lots to do before leaving Cups. David was intent on getting as many chores done in advance of our departure as possible so that once we return in September, we can spend time sailing in the Chesapeake rather than doing repairs and maintenance. Much of what we needed in the way of parts and supplies, [...]

Welcoming guests aboard Nine of Cups

19 August 2013 | Us: Boston Cups: Adelaide, SA
Marcie
Over the years, we've had our share of guests aboard. Sometimes it's easy; sometimes it's a trial.
Land folk don't realize that leaving on lights or fans when they're not being used is a waste of power. Leaving a fridge or freezer locker door open is a major issue. Leaving the fresh water running while you brush your teeth or are waiting for the water to turn hot is a no-no. Just living in close quarters and sharing space with other people when you're used to your own space can be a challenge.

After several guests arrived with big, hard-sided suitcases and shoes that left marks on our white decks, we decided the best idea was to send a checklist in advance with our suggestions as to what to bring and what not to bring. This included clothing (but not too much) appropriate for the climate, non-marking white-soled shoes, lots of sunscreen and a good hat, all packed neatly in a soft-sided, small suitcase or daypack. We have lots of sweatshirts and extra rain gear aboard and we preferred to share rather than have no place to stow extra stuff.

Once folks arrived and moved aboard, we also provided a Welcome Aboard “memo”. I know it sounds anal, but it really saved us all a lot of headaches. It was just a reminder to guests about key things to remember while living aboard Nine of Cups with us. A list of “Don'ts” (Don't leave lights on. Don't leave the water running. No smoking. Don't play with the electronics.) topped the list, but we also included a lot of “Do's” encouraging our guests to learn more about sailing, more about the boat or more about marine life if they chose or simply relaxing and reading a book and enjoying their time away from the rat race. Some folks came for the sailing adventure and some came to explore some new exotic place. We planned inland trips or sailing trips accordingly.

For people who were new to our boat, we decided it was prudent to provide a safety spiel. Here's your PFD. Here's where the fire extinguishers are. Here's how you turn on and off the propane stove and why it's important to make sure you shut it off properly. If we were heading out for a sail, here's our Man Overboard routine. And if we were out for overnight sail, here are the watch rules and here's how to tether yourself in the cockpit.

Even using the head is a new experience for most visitors and since we were keen to avoid clogs, we made sure we reviewed the minimal toilet paper rule and stress that nothing except human refuse went in the head. All heads seem to be a bit different so even other cruisers needed reminding of this, especially if they'd been on land for too long. (We'll need to take a refresher course, I'm afraid).

One issue with guests arriving at a specific day and time is that unless we're already at the rendezvous point, you can bet we're rushing at the end to get there no matter how much time we plan for in advance. Unless people have sailed before and understand the vagaries of the wind and weather, they don't realize just how difficult it is to predict how long it will take to get from Point A to Point B. Nothing worse than arriving in port the same day your guests do. Well, maybe arriving the day after they arrive would be worse.

The best two aspects of having guests, I guess, is when they arrive and when they leave. We do lots of fun things in between, and really enjoy the visits. Like all company, however, it's fun to have them with you, but it's an upset to the usual routine. Getting back to the normality of just us two is always a welcome pleasure.
More pix at www.justalittlefurther.com
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups
SailBlogs Friends
LONG WHITE CLOUD
Leu Cat
Carinthia
SANGARIS
Migaloo
Asylum
Tiger Lilly
Thorfinn
Hello World
Halekai
Tender Spirit
Valiam
Talacam
MACCABEE
Annecam
HooRoo
Echo Echo