Sailing with Nine of Cups

Vessel Name: Nine of Cups
Vessel Make/Model: Liberty 458
Hailing Port: Denver, Colorado, USA
Crew: Marcie & David
About: We've lived aboard Nine of Cups since 2000 and have managed to accumulate 86,000+ nm under the keel since that time. We completed a circumnavigation in April 2015 and managed to sail around the five great southern capes. Come along with us for the ride!
Extra:
Visit our website at www.nineofcups.com for more photos and info about Nine of Cups and her crew. We also have a more extensive blogsite at www.justalittlefurther.com. Are some of our links broken? Links break from time to time. Please let us know which ones are broken and we'll fix them. You [...]
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA
07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA
06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia
30 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
29 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
28 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
27 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
26 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
25 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
24 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
23 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
22 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
21 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
20 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
19 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
18 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
17 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
Recent Blog Posts
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA

Happy 2017!

Happy New Year, Everyone!

07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA

Taking a breather ...

Since we'll be off the boat during July and August, we plan to post only three times per week. The Captain will continue writing a practical Blue View post each week, we'll keep you up to date on what's happening with us and then throw in some cruising nuggets as well.

06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Keeping fit

We’ve written before about keeping fit on the boat. David is so much better at a regimented exercise program than I am. I have all the best intentions, but I can always think of something better to do than sit-ups, push-ups, leg lifts and running in place. It doesn’t take much to distract me. Walking, [...]

04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Happy 240th Birthday, America

Growing up in New England, I took for granted just how lovely a summer’s morning can be in Massachusetts. It’s comfortably cool and everything smells clean and fresh. Spider webs glisten with morning dew and it’s just great to be alive and breathe in the new day. Being back at Lin’s house conjures up wonderful childhood memories of summer mornings past. And this is not just any morning … it’s the 4th of July, the best holiday of the summertime in the USA.

02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Leaving Cups and a Road Trip

Leaving Nine of Cups is never easy. We know she’ll pout while we’re gone and so we do our best to make sure she’s as comfortable as possible before we leave. We were whirling dervishes trying to get everything ready.

01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia

Hunting & Gathering - Virginia Beach

We had lots to do before leaving Cups. David was intent on getting as many chores done in advance of our departure as possible so that once we return in September, we can spend time sailing in the Chesapeake rather than doing repairs and maintenance. Much of what we needed in the way of parts and supplies, [...]

Pressure Canning Food

25 August 2013 | Boston, USA
Marcie
Because we have limited fridge/freezer space and because the fridge/freezer consumes lots of
power, we've looked for other ways to stock provisions that do not require refrigeration. Canning is one option. Recently when I talked about provisioning, I mentioned that we “can” some items before leaving on a long passage. Let me clarify that “canning” in the USA translates to “jarring”, “bottling” or “preserving” in other countries.

I first tried it in Chile just prior to our Pacific crossing and it worked out well. We've met lots of tried and true sailors along our path who preserve some of their provisions by can processing, but it was Kiersten on the Danish boat "Sol" who inspired me to get started. They have no refrigeration on their boat and can meat regularly. We chatted about it and decided it was worth a try. In anticipation of our Pacific passage, we purchased a 16-quart Presto aluminum pressure canner (Model 01755) when we were back in the US and hauled it with us in our luggage on our return. It was certainly big and bulky, but worth the hassle. A lot of stuff fit inside it while we were transporting it, and when we aren't using it, it becomes a storage bin aboard. Note there is a difference between a pressure cooker and a pressure canner. We have both aboard.

We were able to purchase 1/2L (pint) jars in Chile at the local hardware store. Pint jars seem to be the right size for a meal for two. I purchased extra lids just in case I couldn't find the right size in the next country I visited. Kiersten shared a tip that she regularly reused lids without a problem and actually purchased items in the supermarket that came in the correct size jar for subsequent use in canning. For our first few rounds, I took a more conservative approach and used new jars and lids.

I also purchased a book on the subject "Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving" which answered lots of questions and provided exact procedures to follow, so I didn't poison the crew. The book also contained lots of recipes and ideas for canning entire meals. The National Center for Home Food Preservation has a great site and lots of practical information for safe pressure canning, too.

I pressure canned 72 pints of ground turkey and chicken breasts that first time … enough for 72 dinners. I used a raw pack method which saved me from having to cook the chicken in advance. I took raw chicken (skinned and deboned), cut it into chunks and packed it into the prepared jars. Boneless, skinless breasts are the easiest, if they're cost effective. I followed the directions carefully, but honestly, there's not much to it. Note that we don't eat red meat, but beef, lamb and pork can just as well. It wasn't difficult and though it was time and propane intensive for a couple of days, seeing the bin containing the results of my labors was very satisfying. Between the fish David caught en route and our canned stores, we never had to buy meat (had it been available) all the way across the Pacific. Fish can be canned, too, but we usually only fish at sea and canning en route is not a practical thing to do.

Because several people have asked, I'll tell you that the preserved chicken product looks like chicken out of a can, except we think it tastes better. It's juicy, tender and delicious. It makes its own broth as it processes and I use this as stock when I'm cooking. Take any recipe calling for chicken and just add it … it's all cooked and ready to go. It makes a delicious chicken salad. The ground turkey (and I imagine ground beef would be the same) comes out in a clump and didn't look that appealing at first. It tastes great, however. Again, since it's all cooked, I can just add it to whatever recipe I'm cooking … chile, spaghetti sauce, taco mix ... and obviously the cooking time is significantly reduced. Another benefit to can processing is that you know exactly what's in the jar … no additives, no additional salt or sugar.

Once I figured out how easy the process was, I was a canning fool. When we were in Chile, apples and blackberries were in season. Canning fruits and veggies, I learned, is easier and less time consuming than meats, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. The results were wonderful. Having blackberry shortcake or fresh apple crisp en route, long after the other freshies were gone, was a special treat.

We found a heavy-duty plastic crate which held all 72 pints. I marked each lid with the contents and canning date. Whenever I use a jar, I wash it thoroughly and place it back in the crate for subsequent use. I found used cardboard dividers designed to separate wine bottles to cushion the glass jars. (We just happened to buy some wine.) David lashed the crate to the saloon table, so it was out of the way, but we have easy access to it by just removing the locking lid.

Now I find that having my bin of canned chicken and turkey is so convenient, I wait for chicken and ground turkey to go on sale and can up a storm when I'm in port to keep the bin full. If we're lucky enough to find enough berries or fruit to pick, we're quick to take advantage. We've kept canned processed foods for a year or more and it still tastes great.

Note: There are several precautions to take before, during and after the canning process to insure safety. They're not difficult and they're not cumbersome, they just make sense. Read up on the process before rushing out to buy a canner and jars. Follow directions carefully. You'll love the results.

Our friends, John and Shawn, aboard Active Transport are good cooks. They love Indian food and other recipes that would not make sense to cook while at sea. They make up large batches of their favorite meals and pressure can them in appropriate size servings before leaving on passages. John is just completing a book on the subject. I helped to edit it, so I had a sneak peek and know that his tips are practical, reasonable and easy to understand plus there are lots of recipes. If you're interested, let me know and I'll send along his contact information.

For links, contact info and more pix, click here for www.justalittlefurther.com.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups
SailBlogs Friends
LONG WHITE CLOUD
Leu Cat
Carinthia
SANGARIS
Migaloo
Asylum
Tiger Lilly
Thorfinn
Hello World
Halekai
Tender Spirit
Valiam
Talacam
MACCABEE
Annecam
HooRoo
Echo Echo