Sailing with Nine of Cups

Vessel Name: Nine of Cups
Vessel Make/Model: Liberty 458
Hailing Port: Denver, Colorado, USA
Crew: Marcie & David
About: We've lived aboard Nine of Cups since 2000 and have managed to accumulate 86,000+ nm under the keel since that time. We completed a circumnavigation in April 2015 and managed to sail around the five great southern capes. Come along with us for the ride!
Extra:
Visit our website at www.nineofcups.com for more photos and info about Nine of Cups and her crew. We also have a more extensive blogsite at www.justalittlefurther.com. Are some of our links broken? Links break from time to time. Please let us know which ones are broken and we'll fix them. You [...]
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA
07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA
06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia
30 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
29 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
28 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
27 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
26 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
25 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
24 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
23 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
22 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
21 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
20 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
19 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
18 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
17 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
Recent Blog Posts
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA

Happy 2017!

Happy New Year, Everyone!

07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA

Taking a breather ...

Since we'll be off the boat during July and August, we plan to post only three times per week. The Captain will continue writing a practical Blue View post each week, we'll keep you up to date on what's happening with us and then throw in some cruising nuggets as well.

06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Keeping fit

We’ve written before about keeping fit on the boat. David is so much better at a regimented exercise program than I am. I have all the best intentions, but I can always think of something better to do than sit-ups, push-ups, leg lifts and running in place. It doesn’t take much to distract me. Walking, [...]

04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Happy 240th Birthday, America

Growing up in New England, I took for granted just how lovely a summer’s morning can be in Massachusetts. It’s comfortably cool and everything smells clean and fresh. Spider webs glisten with morning dew and it’s just great to be alive and breathe in the new day. Being back at Lin’s house conjures up wonderful childhood memories of summer mornings past. And this is not just any morning … it’s the 4th of July, the best holiday of the summertime in the USA.

02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Leaving Cups and a Road Trip

Leaving Nine of Cups is never easy. We know she’ll pout while we’re gone and so we do our best to make sure she’s as comfortable as possible before we leave. We were whirling dervishes trying to get everything ready.

01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia

Hunting & Gathering - Virginia Beach

We had lots to do before leaving Cups. David was intent on getting as many chores done in advance of our departure as possible so that once we return in September, we can spend time sailing in the Chesapeake rather than doing repairs and maintenance. Much of what we needed in the way of parts and supplies, [...]

From a family of mill workers

04 September 2013 | Boston, USA
Marcie
Did you ever have one of those epiphanies when you finally comprehend something that you've seen, read and heard about for years, but its significance had never really hit you? I had such an experience the other day as we drove through the Blackstone National Heritage Corridor through mill town after mill town. The life of the mill worker is my own heritage. I was bred from this stock of hard-working laborers that spent their lives in mills, working long days in miserable conditions.

My grandfather was born in Manchaug, a mill town in south central Massachusetts and worked at the Manchaug Mills as a young man. Most young men in Manchaug did the same. It's what you did. It's the work that was available then. People died of brown lung (inhalation of textile fibers) and machinery accidents. Towns smelled of mill fumes. Rivers changed color depending upon the chemicals that were dumped into them that day.

After being discharged from the Army after WWII, my dad worked at Whitin Machine Works in Whitinsville. This company had been making machines for the textile industry since 1831 and during the post-war years employed thousands. In his later years, he worked in a steel mill in Worcester.

My Mom always worked. First at a knitting mill, MKM, as a piece rate worker assembling sweaters, and later at Carlton Woolen Mills as a weaver. Both mills were located in Rochdale, MA, the village in which she was born. My parents always referred to their workplaces as “the Shop”.

My grandmother worked at the Worcester Knitting Company for over 40 years. The year I turned 16, she got me a job and I worked there summers and every vacation for the next three years for minimum wage. Did you ever see the opening scene of “Joe vs. the Volcano”? It's a depressing look at factory life. Gray-brown, dull, boring, poor lighting and unhealthy. It was an awful job. From my table, I looked out windows caked thick with dust and grime and could never tell what color the sky was. It was hot, filthy and joyless. I dreaded entering the building every morning at 06:50.

I was a piece-rate worker and my job was to inspect and properly fold polo shirts … a fancy name for t-shirts. I stood beside a thigh-high table for eight hours a day. Beside me was a huge bin which Millie, the floor lady, aka the boss, would fill throughout the day with searing hot, freshly steam pressed shirts in four dozen bundles. I would inspect the shirts for quality then cut off loose threads, apply labels, insert tissue and fold. There were small, pliable aluminum fasteners that squeezed shut or sometimes common pins were used to keep the shirts properly folded. The fasteners cut my fingertips and I was reprimanded once when I got blood on a finished shirt.

I worked with 4-5 little Italian ladies who had cumulatively worked at the mill, doing the exact same job, for nearly 150 years. They rarely spoke to me; talking was discouraged. After all, we were there to work, not chat. I folded those shirts into neat one-dozen piles and stacked them in front of me. Millie would swoop over and remove the finished product every once in awhile and refill my bin with more shirts to be folded. The company sold product to J C Penney and Sears and every time I looked at their catalogs and saw those shirts for sale, I felt a wave of nausea.

It was working at that factory that convinced me that I needed to go to college and get an education. The thought of working in this mill and becoming like the shriveled little Italian ladies was so abhorrent to me, that no amount of stress, grief or aggravation through my college years was equal to my fear of working at the Worcester Knitting Company for the rest of my life. My generation was the first in our family to complete high school, never mind go on to college.

The mills have gone by the way now … renovated and refurbed for other uses. Driving through this “heritage corridor” of mill towns however, will stay with me forever now. It's always been a part of me; I just never realized how much.

More pix at www.justalittlefurther.com.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups
SailBlogs Friends
LONG WHITE CLOUD
Leu Cat
Carinthia
SANGARIS
Migaloo
Asylum
Tiger Lilly
Thorfinn
Hello World
Halekai
Tender Spirit
Valiam
Talacam
MACCABEE
Annecam
HooRoo
Echo Echo