Sailing with Nine of Cups

Vessel Name: Nine of Cups
Vessel Make/Model: Liberty 458
Hailing Port: Denver, Colorado, USA
Crew: Marcie & David
About: We've lived aboard Nine of Cups since 2000 and have managed to accumulate 86,000+ nm under the keel since that time. We completed a circumnavigation in April 2015 and managed to sail around the five great southern capes. Come along with us for the ride!
Extra:
Visit our website at www.nineofcups.com for more photos and info about Nine of Cups and her crew. We also have a more extensive blogsite at www.justalittlefurther.com. Are some of our links broken? Links break from time to time. Please let us know which ones are broken and we'll fix them. You [...]
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA
07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA
06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia
30 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
29 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
28 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
27 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
26 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
25 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
24 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
23 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
22 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
21 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
20 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
19 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
18 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
17 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
Recent Blog Posts
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA

Happy 2017!

Happy New Year, Everyone!

07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA

Taking a breather ...

Since we'll be off the boat during July and August, we plan to post only three times per week. The Captain will continue writing a practical Blue View post each week, we'll keep you up to date on what's happening with us and then throw in some cruising nuggets as well.

06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Keeping fit

We’ve written before about keeping fit on the boat. David is so much better at a regimented exercise program than I am. I have all the best intentions, but I can always think of something better to do than sit-ups, push-ups, leg lifts and running in place. It doesn’t take much to distract me. Walking, [...]

04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Happy 240th Birthday, America

Growing up in New England, I took for granted just how lovely a summer’s morning can be in Massachusetts. It’s comfortably cool and everything smells clean and fresh. Spider webs glisten with morning dew and it’s just great to be alive and breathe in the new day. Being back at Lin’s house conjures up wonderful childhood memories of summer mornings past. And this is not just any morning … it’s the 4th of July, the best holiday of the summertime in the USA.

02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Leaving Cups and a Road Trip

Leaving Nine of Cups is never easy. We know she’ll pout while we’re gone and so we do our best to make sure she’s as comfortable as possible before we leave. We were whirling dervishes trying to get everything ready.

01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia

Hunting & Gathering - Virginia Beach

We had lots to do before leaving Cups. David was intent on getting as many chores done in advance of our departure as possible so that once we return in September, we can spend time sailing in the Chesapeake rather than doing repairs and maintenance. Much of what we needed in the way of parts and supplies, [...]

Massachusetts' Other Cape - Cape Ann

02 October 2013 | Cape Ann, MA, USA
Marcie
If you're in Massachusetts and refer to “the Cape”, it's for certain you're talking about Cape Cod. There is, however, another cape … rocky Cape Ann … and, in its own way, it's every bit as lovely as Cape Cod, but much less touristy. Beyond the city of Gloucester (another blog post for another day), Cape Ann is home to the little towns of Rockport, Manchester-by-the-Sea and Essex and lots of little villages.

Driving along scenic Route 127 is a pleasure. It meanders close to the shore then curves inland and then back to the beach. You get a little taste of everything. The air smells salty and there are plenty of places to get out and stretch to appreciate the scenery and the day.

We whizzed through Manchester-by-the-Sea. There's no parking at the beach for non-residents. The town seems to have lots of rules which do not favor visitors. Once Puritans, always Puritans, I guess.

We took a tiny shore road to see the beach houses in the village of Magnolia. They're beyond what we'd ever be able to afford or want, but oh, some of them were lovely. The best part of this sidetrip was spotting the unique weathervanes that adorned the cupolas of the houses.

Each little town and village has something to offer in its own right, but the gem of them all on Cape Ann, in our opinion, is Rockport. Here is the quintessential little New England seaport village sitting right out on the tip of Cape Ann. It's breathtakingly lovely and it catches you as soon as it comes into view.

There's an old fishing shack on Bradley Wharf in Rockport Harbor that's known simply as Motif #1. Built in the 1840's, it's been the subject of many an artist's work and when you see it, you know why. We threaded our way around the harbor where glimpses of Motif #1 popped up unexpectedly down alleyways and from different vantage points. It's a gob-smacker of a view and my camera seemed to have a mind of its own as it snapped happily and David waited most patiently.

It's easy to wander here … up and down little streets, reading the posted menus of tiny little restaurants, peeking in shop windows at all the nautical novelties. A yodeling pickle? Really?

Bearskin Neck, a very tiny, tight, congested tourist area, is a specific area of town that sits out on a point. Once a military post during the War of 1812, it's now filled chock-a-block with galleries, souvenir shops and nosh opportunities. Lucky for us, it was a Tuesday and off-season. Evidently there was actually a bear that got caught in the tide in 1700 and was killed ... hence the name.

Continuing along Route 127A, the view over the Annisquam River was outstanding … enough so that David pulled off the road so I could walk back to take a photo.

We found a good spot on Wingaersheek Beach for a very late afternoon lunch break. Parking was available and free … even for visitors. We trudged up a deep sand path over the dunes and settled on some huge, smooth boulders for a wonderful low-tide view of a nearly deserted beach with the Annisquam Light in view. It really doesn't get much better.

The day was beginning to wane … and so were we. The little town of Essex would have to wait for another day. In case you noticed, we've completely missed talking about America's oldest seaport, Gloucester. Check in tomorrow because we sailors couldn't possibly miss the home of The Perfect Storm, sou'wester hats and anti-fouling paint.

More pics and links at JustALittleFurther.com
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups
SailBlogs Friends
LONG WHITE CLOUD
Leu Cat
Carinthia
SANGARIS
Migaloo
Asylum
Tiger Lilly
Thorfinn
Hello World
Halekai
Tender Spirit
Valiam
Talacam
MACCABEE
Annecam
HooRoo
Echo Echo