Sailing Nomad

Our life on S/V Nomad, keeping friends and family up-to-date on what we are up to

S/V Nomad

Who: Ahmet and Danielle Buharali
Port: Winthrop, MA
29 May 2009 | Winthrop
15 September 2008 | Winthrop
19 August 2008 | Plymouth, MA
10 August 2008 | Gloucester
19 April 2008 | Winthrop, MA
15 April 2008 | Charlestown, MA
15 April 2008 | Charlestown
29 March 2008 | CHarlestown, MA
27 March 2008 | Charlestown, MA
06 March 2008 | Charlestown, of course
26 February 2008 | Under lots of bags of Dock Sleeping Bags
12 February 2008 | Charlestown
30 January 2008 | Charlestown, MA
07 November 2007
09 October 2007 | Winthrop
02 October 2007 | Winthrop, MA
16 September 2007 | Boston
04 September 2007
01 September 2007
31 August 2007

FIRE

30 October 2005 | Charlestown, MA
Ahmet
At 2:30 am we had a fire on Nomad. It was the bilge pump. A Rule Industries 500 GPH automatic bilge pump. West Marine # 491928. It was fused, with a 10 amp fuse.
Thankfully I was still awake. Suddenly I noticed the smell and smoke. It seemed to be coming from the bilge. My first reaction was .. electric heaters, but they were ok. Then I checked the hot water heater, which is in the bilge, but that was off. I turned off the AC switch, thinking perhaps it was the AC wiring. Then I saw flames coming out from the edges of the floorboards. That is a scary sight I tell you. I woke up Danielle, filled a pot of water and lifted the floorboard.
There was the bilge pump, happily burning away. A crown of flames was shooting off it's top. i was releived to see that nothing else was burning yet. I emptied the pot of water on the pump, then got another one, which doused the fire. I could still hear crackling, so I poured a few more buckets of water into the bilge. Carefully checking the area, there was nothing else burning.

I took some pictures. They can be seen here
about 30 minutes before the fire, the bilge pump came on for an unusually long time (one minute instead of a few seconds) I was going to check the water in the bilge but figured, that since the pump stopped, it must have been taken care of, so I was litening if the pump was going to start cyclin. Well .. that pump never came on again.

I would recommend, if any of you has those automatic bilge pumps, get rid of it, or fuse it very lightly (3-4 amps max) . This one was about 6 months old. I will check with Rule and see what they say.
Feel free to email me at ahmet@sailnomad.com if you have any questions.
Comments
Vessel Make/Model: 36 ft sloop
Hailing Port: Winthrop, MA
Crew: Ahmet and Danielle Buharali
Extra: 1984 Catalina 36 Tall Rig Sloop. Hull # 300
Home Page: http://www.sailnomad.com

S/V Nomad

Who: Ahmet and Danielle Buharali
Port: Winthrop, MA