Out of our Minds

25 February 2010
23 February 2010 | Directly Across from Downtown Miami
22 February 2010 | Anchored off of Biscayne Key
07 February 2010 | Anchored outside of Boot Key Harbor
24 January 2010 | 24 33.098N: 81 42.570W
01 January 2010 | Key West
11 December 2009 | Key West
09 December 2009 | Key West
08 December 2009 | Key West
06 December 2009 | Key West
26 November 2009 | Boca Chica Marina
24 November 2009 | Boca Chica Marina
16 November 2009 | Key West Florida
10 November 2009 | Marco Island
07 November 2009 | Back in the bay after 2 days at Fort Meyers Beach
04 November 2009 | San Carlos Bay off of Sanibel

Shelling in Sanibel Island

04 November 2009 | San Carlos Bay off of Sanibel
Terry/Windy Rolly and just a little too cool
First
There is a new photo gallery

The Passage

We left Sarasota Bay first thing the morning of the fourth. We were advised not to use the pass at Sarasota and head down the Intracoastal waterway(ICW) for Venice Inlet. The passes in Sarasota are local knowledge only and too dangerous.

The ICW from Sarasota to Venice is deep enough although we did have one spot shortly after leaving Sarasota where our depth gauge was reading 4.1 feet and we draw 6.5. The sides of the ICW are lined with luxury homes and mangroves. It was peaceful and beautiful on this stretch. Be sure to get the names of all of the bascule bridges before you go. Some of the bridgeman can get surly.

Excitement on the sleepy ICW

At one point we went through a narrow swing bridge with the tide rushing through it. It was a little exciting and reminded me of my days shooting the rapids on the Guadalupe river. Sure it was not as fast as the Guadalupe but I did not have 56 foot long 16 foot wide or 64 foot tall boat on the Guadalupe either. As you go through you can feel the water rushing faster than the boat is moving and you lose steerage with only feet to spare.

The pass at Venice is completely fool proof. It has never been so easy to get to the gulf.

Sailing is heaven sometimes.

We got out on the Gulf with every sailor's dream. A blue sky. Following winds. And a following sea. We got to play with some of rigging we had not used before. I got out the whisker pole and pinned the Genoa all the way out as we proceeded wing on wing south making 7 knots on a 10 knot wind.

The only annoyance was the multitude of crab pots. I altered our course out to 6 miles off coast and we were still in crab pots with darkness closing in. Oh well, we were not motoring so the lines could not get caught in our prop. Sorry if I drug some of your pots to Sanibel but there was no way to avoid it.

The wind died off at dusk and we were doing a little over 4 knots until the wind freshened from the east. We were on a broad reach in a 17 knot wind making way briskly and comfortably.

In the darkness things took a turn for the worse as the waves oriented themselves from the east and the winds increased to 22 knots. We were rocking in the troughs and with passengers complaining I reefed(reduced the size) of my sails until we were only making 7 to 8 knots trying to provide comfort instead of speed.

I changed our course to track closer to the land and found some shorter waves but the worst was yet to come.

As we made our turn to the east around the south side of Sanibel we were suddenly another 5 miles off shore and the waves had built up to 4 to 5 feet. It was 60(cold) and the wind was knocking the tops off the waves into my face. We still had 2 hours to go and Dad was particularly unhappy that we had come all of this way south to be this cold.

We cranked up the iron jib and could only make about 4.5 knots against the wind and wave but made a safe anchor in the dark. Click the map to see where the best anchorage for a boat of our size in this area.

Morning breaks

I dropped the dinghy to take the dogs ashore and stopped on the way to meet another couple on their beautiful steel ketch that had chosen the same anchorage. I enjoyed speaking with the husband about their plans to circumnavigate. On their boat the wife who is a physicist does most of the technical work including welding. We exchanged emails and hope to run into each other on our travels.

We dinke ashore and did the Sanibel stoop before the tours got their, but not before the locals got the best shells. We will beat them tomorrow!
Comments
Vessel Name: Paradox
Vessel Make/Model: 52' Jeanneau *Sun Odyssey 52.2*
Hailing Port: Home is where our boat is.
Crew: Terry, Debbie, Ski, Joanna, Princess and Misty
About:
Terry will be the official skipper since he is the only one that navigates right now. Ski is Terry's father and will be the first mate since he is the only other sailor. Debbie, is Terry's wife and will be officially a swab, but she is looking for promotion. [...]
Extra: All people are created equal member of ONE HUMAN FAMILY

Want to tweet http://twitter.com/FinsOnTheLeft

Who: Terry, Debbie, Ski, Joanna, Princess and Misty
Port: Home is where our boat is.