Read: Bahamas Shakedown or Refit or Caribbean or en Francais
New Force 10
10/12/2006

The original Force 10 was smokey and corroded. A really, really tight fit down the companionway. Otherwise an easy drop in replacement. The new one seems a little better built: stainless instead of iron burner caps, for example. Still, keeping surface rust off the brushed stainless surfaces is a continous effort. Sure is nice that Force 10 finally capitulated to the need for a thermostat on the oven. They used to say it was too dangerous and you kinda had to twiddle with the burner to hold temp.

Refit
Seat Cleats
10/12/2006

Ever come off a wave and slide the seat right off the head... Not my idea, but a good one.

Refit
AlpenGlow Lights
10/12/2006

A big winner towards getting those AHs down. This is a wonderful company to work with and they produce an awesome product. These are the dual flourescent/LED (for red) versions. More light and less Amps! I did not change the head light as we don't use them enough to justify the cost.

Refit
Interior Speakers
10/12/2006

Custom built to fit the hull and provide enough clearance to be able to acccess the wire run w/o removing the speaker. The driver is some exotic full range French job that I can't remeber at the moment. We also have PolyPlanars mounted on the arch for music in the cockpit. I chose box speakers external because I worried about water ingress through a failed flush mount.

Refit
Lift Strut for Chart Table
10/12/2006

The standard issue spring thingy let the chart table fall on my head one too many times. Easy mod that works great.

Refit
Fiddle for Chart Table
10/12/2006

Just on the inboard side to help keep things in place but not where it somes under the wrist when seated at the chart table. Also added a fiddle to keep things on the counter from sliding into the sink.

Refit
Shelves
10/12/2006

A common modification: changing hanging lockers into pantries for a bit more storage. The J/40 does not have a lot of storage volume, particularly with water tanks under both settees. These shelves, and the ones in the forward hanging locker, give us enough to support four people for a couple of weeks. If we had a bit more faith in the water maker, we would consider removing one of the water tanks for more storage.

Refit
Handholds
10/12/2006

The J/40 could use a few more handholds below, as was done for the J/42. This column is an easy add to steady that lunge from the companion way.

Refit

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]

 

Powered by SailBlogs