SailBlog

Vessel Name: Northanger
Vessel Make/Model: Damien Ketch
About: http://www.northanger.org
15 April 2010 | 53 58'S:064 00'W, South Atlantic
31 March 2010 | 51 33'S:055 55'W, Scotia Sea
29 March 2010 | 52 04'S:050 19'W, Scotia Sea
29 March 2010 | 52 04'S:050 19'W, Scotia Sea
28 March 2010 | 52 24'S:047 43'W, Scotia Sea
27 March 2010 | 52 43'S:043 48'W, Scotia Sea
22 February 2010 | 53 16'S:039 57'W, Scotia Sea
19 February 2010 | 52 14'S:050 04'W, Scotia Sea
12 February 2010 | 51 41'S:057 50'W, Southern Ocean
02 February 2010 | 55 08'N:063 43'W, Southern Ocean
Recent Blog Posts
15 April 2010 | 53 58'S:064 00'W, South Atlantic

Dunbar Farm Astern

Position 53 58.63S - 64 00.39W

31 March 2010 | 51 33'S:055 55'W, Scotia Sea

Popcorn

Popcorn

29 March 2010 | 52 04'S:050 19'W, Scotia Sea

At Sea Food

March 29th

On Sea Sickness

28 March 2010 | 52 24'S:047 43'W, Scotia Sea
Keri-Lee Pashuk
March 28

On Seasickness

I've been at seasickness for 25 years.

Once, when I was describing a voyage we had made across the Drake Passage to the Antarctic Peninsula where I was kept busy emptying buckets and nursing 6 people who were all violently seasick, my friend Laila asked "Were they gulpers or roarers?"

I'm a roarer. No holding back. I've fed a lot of fish over the years.

I've tried most of the seasick medications recommended and have worked out a tentative relationship with one, meclozine hydrochloride. It works, most of the time but on occasion does let me down. And then the fish are happy.

Drugs and I have never meshed. I'm very sensitive and any medications I put into my body stay long after the effectiveness of the medication has worn off. Being a health minded person (my mother would say health freak) I've tried many of the natural remedies available - the acupressure bracelets, homeopathic therapy, aroma therapy, ginger capsules.

The only thing I have to say about the ginger capsules - they sure do burn the oesophagus on the way back up!

Different medications work for different people. Some medications do not work at all. Poor Beth Anne. She was so seasick on the way across from Ushuaia to Stanley and again from Stanley to South Georgia. Even so, so she bravely pulled it together and managed to look after herself. Every time we passed her bunk in the hallway, we would see her hunkered down in her fluffy feather sleeping bag, nibbling away at a stale baguette. On her watches, she would lurch her way out to the settee and set up horizontal camp - baguette, water bottle, blanket on hand. On our way to South Georgia last month, When we sailed into the ice zone , both Beth Anne and Hayley took their turns outside on ice watch. Their Herculean effort, battling the lethargy and nausea of seasickness, was greatly appreciated, especially realized now since we just came through the ice on our way north again with just the three of us covering the same watches. For the first few days of our return passage, Brian, Magnus and I took turns outside on ice watch for one hour on, two off from dawn until dusk, when we would then heave to for the night.

I've always wondered how other sailors cope with sea sickness. Are they all freaks like Brian, who are not affected in the least by the movement? (thank god for freaks like Brian when sailing the Scotia Sea, I say!). I had the chance to ask one "old salt" When we arrived back in Grytviken on the 16th of March. Polar Bound, a specially built motor vessel, in the shape of a life boat, was tied up to the jetty, paused there during another around the world voyage. I had known about Polar Bound and it's owner David Scott Cowper because of Northanger's history with the Northwest Passage. In 1988/89, Northanger, with then owner Richard Thomas and crew, became the first British vessel to transit the Northwest Passage. At the same time, David was also making the transit in the Mabel E. Holland, a life boat that he had converted specifically with the passage in mind, basically into diesel tanks with a steering station. Over a period of three summer seasons, he transited the Nor th West Passage solo. It was quite a feat and a good yarn, which he has compiled into a book. A few years ago, he transited the passage again in Polar Bound, becoming the first person to do so single handed in both directions. David actually has a number of firsts behind him. He has been sailing and boating a long time. The perfect subject for an interrogation on seasickness.

When we met up in Grytviken, I asked him "Do you ever get seasick?" His reply was a surprising "Yes", apparently always getting sick the first few days out before adapting to the motion. Looking at the round hull of his boat, which has no keel and high pilot house, my stomach lurched as I could well imagine the motion. David described one way to know if one would be comfortable sailing on his vessel - put one self in a washing machine for a few days, and if you survive that, you would be fine on Polar Bound. I think I'll stick to Northanger!

Keri



Hopefully Helpful Hints on Dealing with Seasickness:

- Keep warm. When in cold climes, dress properly. A hot water bottle stuffed down the front next to the body core while on watch is not cheating! - Get lots of sleep. Let the people on watch do their job and do not stay awake worrying. Anxiety and tiredness contribute to seasickness - Take the medication long before you get sick. It is easier to prevent seasickness than to try to get rid of it once you get it. I recommend, under doctors watch, to try a number of different medications while on land to test for adverse reactions. In the middle of a difficult passage is not the place to find out if you are reactiing or allergic to something. - stay hydrated. Dehydration can exacerbate the feeling of seasickness as well as cause other complications. Taking regular small sips of water works better than gulping it. Warm water works well in the cold as it helps you keep warm - Keep eating even if you do not feel like it, especially if you have fed the fish. Your stomach needs something in it otherwise you will be vomiting bile - not good. Small sips of water directly after omitting, then small nibbles on dry, salty crackers or plain salted potato chips work well. I have a tub of candies handy too. The salt and sugar help to replace the essential electrolytes your body has lost. -don't worry, most people only stay seasick for a few days of the passage and then the body adjusts to the movement. - if you don't get over it, well, you just may want to change those fancy sailing boots for a pair of good old fashioned garden gumboots.
Comments
Current Position
Northanger's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.

About & Links

Favorites
No Links Added Yet