20 January 2013 | Tunisia
Breaking news of the week is the gluing of the first layer of the ply subdeck and the second layer is now ready to fit. I keep wondering if we have forgotten to put any big items inside…….. too late! This is a big step forward for us as it will allow new advances in other areas. The teak for the deck is due to be sawn in the next week or so and then we will really see the sparks fly! The deadwood is now ready to re fit and the whole interior of the hull has a coat of white epoxy to keep the water out. Sandra and I just returned from the yard having started to apply undercoat to the bulkheads. The boat is beginning to take on a new look.
The jackyard is now in one piece and will be ready for varnish by the end of next week. Sandra has begun to varnish the boom and has several bits and pieces in her shed in various states of finishing, such as blocks, locker doors and hatch grills. She has also finished leathering six of the mast hoops. No small task as each one represents two hours of stitching! Meanwhile, I have been concentrating on the metal work and have made good inroads into my job list. The bowsprit cone is ready for galvanising, the fitting for the dolphin striker has been modified, and I have made a new joining plate for the keelson. I am very happy that I have found a way to recycle almost all of the useable metal back into the boat but there is also much that is only good for scrap or melting down. I am still looking for a use for the old keel bolts, parts of which are in perfect condition and the new keel bolts will hopefully turn up during the coming week and I have a cunning plan for the keel which will be revealed in due course.
Our good friend, Bernard from Cannes, shows up tomorrow for a couple of weeks to give me a hand to get the engine placed and make some progress with the mechanics most of which had been put on the long finger and now needs some serious attention.
So we have got a bit on as you can see. Enjoy the photos and keep the comments coming!