'Three-Two-One-Two men crossing the pond'

"Twenty Years from now you will be more disappointed by things you didn't do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bow lines, sail away from the safe harbour, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore Dream Discover"

01 July 2008
26 June 2008
25 June 2008
24 June 2008
23 June 2008
22 June 2008
21 June 2008 | 39 29.6'N: 26 35.2'W
08 June 2008 | Horta
08 June 2008
07 June 2008
06 June 2008
05 June 2008
04 June 2008
03 June 2008
02 June 2008
01 June 2008
31 May 2008
30 May 2008
29 May 2008
28 May 2008

Land A'hoy

08 April 2008 | Antigua
Paul
At 9.30am local time (13.30 UTC), after 21 days 23hrs, Ocean One with the dynamic duo onboard (Capt. Pugwash & Uncle Albert), tied up outside Customs & Immigrations in Jolly Harbour, Antigua to clear in. With the yacht safely tied up alongside, we could finally relax and both of us felt an enormous sense of achievement and satisfaction. Once cleared into Antigua, we moved Ocean One round to her berth in the marina and it brought to an end our epic journey, which if we are both honest, we would have not thought possible, this time last year, as we were on our course and getting our qualifications seemed so far away. As you are all aware, especially as you have been following the bog, our trip has not gone as smoothly as we would have liked and even our landfall in Antigua changed during our crossing, from English Harbour to Jolly Harbour, as this is where our long suffering girlies decided to wait for their men. We would both like to say a big thank you to them for being there to greet us and to help us relax and unwind. It seems like such a long time ago now, that we left Las Palmas full of hope and excitement, but also with trepidation. They say that crossing the Atlantic by yacht is not as challenging as it use to be, because of the advances in both navigation technology and boat design/equipment. In fact they call it crossing the pond, but to us, it was a very big achievement and in my mind, no matter how many advances are made in equipment/boat design, once you are out of sight of land, you have to be self sufficient, as it is just you, your boat and the ocean (Mother Nature). We prepared the boat to the best of our abilities (Super Yacht standards), worked out what we were allowed to use for our daily consumption of fuel and water and then set sail. With just the two of us onboard, we were undecided on the best watch system to employ, but opted to try 3hrs on 3hrs off. However, after the first night, we decided that this didn't allow us enough unbroken sleep. So we changed it to 3hrs on and 3hrs off during the day and during the night, I did 9pm to 3am and Andy took over at 3am until 9am. Obviously, if while off watch the other person needed you, they would call you. This new system worked well and we soon settled into it and our daily routine of sailing the boat, cooking and cleaning. We were going to try fishing to see if we could catch our dinner, but with the towed generator it was impossible, as they would have got tangled up with each other. We did land two flying fish though, or rather they landed on board of their own accord. Talking of wildlife, we were accompanied by playful dolphins on a few occasions, but not as often as I would have thought. We also had a tired Homing pigeon land on our spray hood for a rest, but unfortunately he was washed overboard, by a large wave. The highlight of the day for me was plotting the noon position and passing it onto Steve via the satellite phone. We had decided on a route to head south (once we had cleared the Southern end of Gran Canary) and to pick up the Trade winds (which blow East to West and at a fairly constant speed) and prevailing currents and hopefully these would aid us in a speedy passage to Antigua. However, nothing is certain in sailing and the winds decided to frustrate us and not blow as they were supposed to. Also, instead of the long Atlantic rollers we had been told we would get, we ended up with confused and choppy seas. In fact, in the whole trip, we only had one 24hr period when they blew at a strength and direction that allowed us to make any direct progress to Antigua. For the rest of the time, we had to make the best of light and variable winds by heading north for 24hrs and then south for the next 24hrs. With approximately 180 miles to go, enough diesel in the tank and the wind still blowing from a direction that would not allow us direct passage to Antigua, we decided to motor the rest of the way. It was during this period, we were hit by numerous squalls and a one point the wind hit F10. The squalls brought with them rain and confused seas, which made Ocean One roll like a pig in mud. Finally, early on Easter Monday, we sighted the Island of Antigua and the joy Andy and I both felt was enormous. This epic adventure has been a trip, which both of us will never forget and is something we can both be proud of. We would both like to thank everybody, especially our girlfriends, for your support and kind words over the last 3 months. Also, we would like to thank Steve for being our shore support and updating our position on the blog and providing weather updates. We wish that he could have completed the journey with us, but fate intervened.
Comments
Vessel Name: Ocean One
Vessel Make/Model: Finngulf
Hailing Port: Dartmouth
Crew: Andrew Moore, Steve Geekie, Paul Wise
About: These three partners in crime first embarked on their marine adventures exactly 12 months ago at a well known sailing school in The Medina, Cowes. After testing the patience of every instructor, they eventually passed out with enough knowledge to make it back to the mainland.
Extra:
Their quest for adventure has since taken them across many small oceans, until this January they have teamed up once more for the big one! Armed with a blessing, carrot cakes, a few charts, and the love from Rachel, Lucy, and Lorraine ,(individually rather than collectively!), they are seeking a [...]

Dream, Discover, Explore

Who: Andrew Moore, Steve Geekie, Paul Wise
Port: Dartmouth