Oceans Dream

02 August 2014 | ENGLAND
15 March 2014 | Malaysia
29 January 2014 | Thailand
26 December 2013 | Phuket, Thailand
30 November 2013 | Langkawi, Malaysia
03 November 2013 | Puteri Harbour Marina, Johor Bahru, Malaysia
04 October 2013 | Indonesian Borneo
22 September 2013 | Lovina, Bali
05 September 2013 | Komodo Island, Indonesia
18 August 2013 | Flores Island, East Nusa Tengarra, Indonesia
06 August 2013 | Kupang, Timor island
26 July 2013 | Northern Territory, Australia
21 July 2013 | Uluru, Australia
29 June 2013 | Fannie Bay, Darwin
17 June 2013 | Shelburne Bay, Cape Grenville, Australia
08 June 2013 | Carins, QLD
29 May 2013 | Townsville
12 May 2013 | Queensland
26 April 2013 | Mooloolaba, QLD
24 March 2013 | Mooloolaba, Queensland

Squid-jigging in the Solomons.

28 August 2012 | Ghizo Island, Solomons
Admiral 40 catamaran
DUGOUT

Since last writing, we have wound our way from the megapode island of Savo, through the carvers capital of the Marovo Lagoon, onto Rendova Island before hitting the delights of the Vona Vona Lagoon.

Arriving at the Vona Vona Lagoon, it was clear Joes Resort on Lola Island was a great place for some relaxation and civilisation. Joe, from Seattle moved to the Solomons and married a local girl over 20 years ago - his bar and restaurant are a favourite among yachties. Many of the guests occupying his basic Eco-bungalows are sports fishermen from Australasia and it was from these guys we learnt the art of squid-jigging. Every morning squid would hang-out around OD's hulls, seeking shelter from the sun ... fools! Having been gifted a squid lure by a Kiwi chap, and been given guidance as to the catching technique, First Mate was on a mission. Initially, the squid were quite taken with the lure but soon caught on that this wasn't a tasty shrimp after all. Eventually, with a quick strike, the barbs took hold of the squid tentacles with the accompanying cloud of jet black ink. As the squid was lifted clear of the water, there were even more 'squirts' until the squid could be placed inside a big bucket. Any ink that had found it's way into the cockpit needed clearing up immediately as it can quickly engrain itself into the gelcoat ... never to be removed. Instead of squid for supper, we enjoyed a small appetiser. The following four days were spent making our way to Gizo island, where we are now anchored. It is from here that we will clear customs and immigration on 07 September.

OD sailing

We have spent a total of 9 weeks cruising through the many islands that make up the Solomons. A number of these islands suffered from the effects of a major tsunami in 2007 as well as from the environmental impact of the extensive logging activities over the last few decades. As a consequence, much of the coral has been damaged and the water polluted by run-off from the islands. Nevertheless the islands have a natural beauty which is reflected in the people we have met despite the troubles of early 2000. The small communities are welded together through strong religious belief and the pride of every village is their church. The art of carving in both wood and stone (with inlays of nautilus shell) provides a meagre income for a few talented men. Many of whom have visited OD in their dugouts to show-off their wares. We have also enjoyed fresh crayfish, delivered to our door LIVE, for the equivalent of a little over £2 as it does not appear to be a delicacy amongst the locals.

Jackie Cray

For now it's "Lukem Ui Long Taim Solomon Islands (see you again in a long time) - thank you tumas for looking after us so well".
Comments
Vessel Name: Oceans Dream
Vessel Make/Model: Admiral 40 catamaran
Hailing Port: Plymouth, UK
Crew: Adrian & Jackie
About:
Having both worked hard we decided we should enjoy an exciting and challenging retirement whilst we were young enough and fit enough. To realise this dream, we replaced our monohull with an ocean-going liveaboard catamaran. [...]

About Us

Who: Adrian & Jackie
Port: Plymouth, UK