OceansWatch expedition updates

03 September 2013
03 September 2013 | Honiara
31 July 2011 | Vanuatu
20 December 2009 | Mooloolaba to Opua
18 December 2009 | Mooloolaba
30 November 2009
30 November 2009
23 November 2009
18 November 2009
17 November 2009
17 November 2009
17 November 2009
16 November 2009
06 November 2009
06 November 2009
06 November 2009
06 November 2009
01 November 2009 | Cairns

Departing Solomons

28 July 2009 | 08 14'S:157 11'E, Solomon Islands
Gardner Bickford
25th July, 2009 - Leaving Peava In the morning I helped Lisa sort through her backup files and upgrade her Anti Virus. I wasn't able to stay until the virus scan finished but I really hope that it was able to clean the "Gods must be crazy" virus off of her computer. We said our goodbyes and set sail for Ghizo.

26th July, 2009 - Arrived in Ghizo We sailed on the northern side of the island and the wind kept wrapping around behind us until we got into a bay right between two islands on the eastern approach to Ghizo. We motored in the last leg of the journey. Passed Kennedy Island which is named after the late John Fitzgerald when his river boat, PT-109, was sunk and he towed a soldier ashore with his teeth gripping the other's lifejacket. We anchored up and had a rest before we went to find some food and COLD BEER! I hadn't even seen a beer in over three weeks and it was well appreciated as was the dancing and music and the Sunday night in general that Ghizo puts on.

27th July, 2009 - Day in Ghizo Ghizo is the second largest town in Solomon at 3,500 people. Chris tried to clear out but was informed that there is no longer immigration services and that we would have to sail back from the direction we came to go to the respectable town of Noro. We were easily distracted from the bad news by the internet cafe and the other tasks at hand like trying to find someone to exchange my seemingly useless Vanuatu currency. I got a copy of Picasa to sort the trip photos. Cleo barged on the food mission and we have a lovely bunch of vegetables from the market and she found more "popcorn" I rowed a lot. I rowed people. I rowed diesel. I rowed water. I rowed groceries. I rowed and rowed. Next time I'll recommend that we attach the OBM. We met two Australian guys, Graham and Sam, that were on a reunion tour helping get their recently relationship-free friend, Jeffery, get his amazingly spacious 34' steel boat named Whisper L (a Spray design) back down to Cairns. They had been friends f or 40 years and seemed like a genuine bunch and I hope they have a good trip and we get to meet up with them again in Cairns.

28th July, 2009 - Leave Ghizo I woke up late and we were already packing up to leave Ghizo. I scrambled up on deck and helped as we took off. I could tell Chris wasn't happy that we had to waste a day and he wanted to get to Noro before immigrations closed so that we could clear out ASAP. We had to motor most of the way and we arrived at 15:30. We were called over by sailing vessel Lady Emily. It had a huge cabin and an Australian family on deck and they were very nice to show us where to anchor. There's not too many yachts in Noro and the lagoon is surrounded by reef and not well marked. We anchored and I went ashore with Chris so that I could find water. Chris went straight for immigration and I found free water next to the ANZ ATM and carried it through the market back to the dinghy with no shoes! Chris met the immigration officials standing outside their locked office. They were done for the day. We had to come back tomorrow to clear out of Solomon Islands.
Comments
Vessel Name: Magic Roundabout, Cat Knapp & Anna Rose
Vessel Make/Model: Sweden Yachts 34, Anna Rose '43 yacht
Hailing Port: Whangarei, NZ
Crew: Chris Bone, Irene Llabres, Katherine Rainone, Anna Pohl
About:
Permanant skipper Chris is a professional yacht skipper and runs a yacht delivery company- Pacific Yacht Deliveries. He has been an environmental activist for many years, including 2 years as a skipper for Greenpeace on the yacht Vega. [...]
Extra:
The long term use of Magic Roundabout was donated to OceansWatch to carry out Marine conservation and provide humanitarian aid to the coastal communities in the Pacific. OceansWatch has set up an ongoing training system for yachties and divers to monitor reef health throughout the Pacific using the [...]
Home Page: http://www.oceanswatch.org

Oceanswatch Expeditions

Who: Chris Bone, Irene Llabres, Katherine Rainone, Anna Pohl
Port: Whangarei, NZ
In close co-operation with the world's yachting community OceansWatch undertakes marine conservation projects and undertakes humanitarian aid in developing countries. To join OceansWatch visit www.oceanswatch.org
For more information about our work visit www.oceanswatch.org