Kama Hele

19 April 2012
02 March 2012 | Marathon FL
02 February 2012 | Marathon FL
19 January 2012
17 January 2012 | Someplace not far from Marco Island, not too sure where
09 January 2012 | Englewood
08 January 2012 | Sarasota Bay
07 January 2012 | Tampa Bay
06 January 2012 | Tarpon Springs, FL
31 December 2011 | Cedar Key
29 December 2011 | Steinhatchee... Again.
26 December 2011 | Stienhatchee FL
21 December 2011 | St. Marks FL
17 December 2011 | St. Marks, FL
13 December 2011
03 December 2011 | NAS Pensacola
24 November 2011 | Grand Mariner Marina, Mobile AL
20 November 2011
20 November 2011 | Tensas River, Alabama

So boaters CAN leave on schedule!

17 January 2012 | Someplace not far from Marco Island, not too sure where
Annakah / gorgeous!
We'd planned on leaving Fort Myers today, and sure enough, we actually did. We had a bit of excitement last night though. Okay, story time. So a few years ago, we bought two dinghy davits. They did not reach far enough out away from the boat to hold our dinghy up while we were moving; We bought a new pair last summer. These did not fit either, but for a different reason. The bottom part of the davit, the part that is affixed to the deck of the boat, could not reach over the toe rail. My dad had to build a crafty pair of boxes that stood about six inches taller than the boat deck; He bolted those into the deck of the boat, and bolted the davits onto the wooden boxes, giving the davits a high enough perch to hold on to and still clear the toe rail. Last night, we pulled the dinghy up on board with the davits, and tied it off. I was being dumb and didn't tie the extra line to the boat, I just looped it. About ten minutes after we got everything all secured, the davits broke off of the boat and the dinghy fell to the water. I managed to catch the spare line before it slid off the boat, so thankfully no one had to go swim after it, and we pulled the dinghy back up on board with the use of our mast and boom.
(See, sailboaters? It DOES have a purpose!)
Today we're somewhere near Marco Island, though I couldn't tell you where. We are officially 115 miles from our destination. This trip has certainly been longer than was expected, but it will be nice to get to where we're going. Our friends on S/V Moonshine are going to be there in February, and S/V Kittywake sometime in February, too. I'm already trying to find a church to attend, and I have applied for jobs in the area.
My third-oldest sister just had her baby yesterday; It's a girl. My second-oldest sister is due to have her baby in mid-March, so we're flying out to South Carolina to visit her and my oldest sister. (Yes, a lot of sisters- There are five of us, and one brother!) Anyway, we're all set to be somewhere. Lilo is too.
Love,
Annakah on Kama Hele
Comments
Vessel Name: Kama Hele
Vessel Make/Model: Litton Trawler
Hailing Port: Chattanooga, TN
Crew: Kevin, Lori, Annakah, Aspen, and Lilo
About: My name is Annakah, and I'm a 17 year old girl living on a trawler with my parents, little sister, and dog. Join me as I write about our adventures in our new life, living aboard Kama Hele.
Extra: We are currently on the way down the river systems, heading to the Florida Keys! Kama Hele is Hawaiian for "The Traveler." W saw that it fit pretty well for a traveling family like ours.

Ohana on Kama Hele!

Who: Kevin, Lori, Annakah, Aspen, and Lilo
Port: Chattanooga, TN