Okwa Naholo

Turbodog Goes Back To The Bahamas..

29 November 2014
14 November 2014
11 November 2014 | Pass Christian Marina, MS
29 September 2014

Marathon to Bahamas

22 February 2011
Jolie
(pic David diving the anchor chain on the Bahama Bank)

To get from Marathon to the Bahama Islands you have to

1) Cross the Florida Keys National Reef Sanctuary that runs the length of the Florida Keys about 4 miles out

2) Cross the rapid currents and heavy shipping traffic of the Gulf Stream/Straits of Florida

3) Cross the, at times, shallow Great Bahama Banks

It is nearly impossible to accomplish all of these things during daylight hours and there are only a few options for stops along the way unless ideal conditions, so no dilly-dallying with just a short window and the right conditions. Be prepared and go! Fortunately, we have become comfortable with sailing at night.

Monday morning we untied from our mooring around 9:45am. Around 9:48am the engine ran hot and killed while we were still in the Book Key Channel. We were pushed lightly aground and David quickly figured out that it was a broken alternator belt... easy, right?... we have spare belts on board. Nope... The spares were not the right size. What to do?

David quickly threw out the anchor, inflated the dinghy, mounted the dinghy motor, motored to shore, called a cab, cabbed it 4 miles to Napa auto parts and back, sold our bike along the way, returned with belts and spares, quickly got the boat going, deflated and stowed the dinghy, got us off ground and on our way by 12:00 noon. I have yet to figure out where he stows his cape.

We motor sailed most of the day through Hawk Channel and crossed over the reef right before sunset near Alligator Reef and were able to sail across the gulf stream overnight in 10-12 kt SE winds and 4 ft seas. Dave tried to get some sleep but didn't. The water was a color I'd never seen, an indigo blue/grape kool-aid color. The AIS system was invaluable and made for easy tracking of all big boats/ ships, their direction, speed, etc.... even if their captains are asleep or not paying attention as was the case in just one incident...we could get out of their way. I did get some sleep. We were healed around 15-20 degrees. It was not the most comfortable below but overall, and compared to stories we've heard, our crossing was pretty damn good.

By sunrise Tuesday morning we were sailing through South Riding Rocks and onto the Great Bahama Bank. I don't think it was decided for sure before then that Nassau would be our port of entry and we headed in the direction of the Northwest Channel. By afternoon the seas were laying down, and by evening it was just a light chop. Time to rest. At 4:45pm we dropped the hook (thats my new boating talk) in 15 ft of clear/green water. We were in near calm waters on the edge of the Bahama Bank and the Tongue of the Ocean... Incredible! We had an early dinner (Lori, it was leftover spaghetti and italian sausage), watched the sunset, reminisced about our past, and toasted to our present and the realization of a dream.

We're here!.. and tired.. Please don't come by for a drink tonight.

Very early start tomorrow for an 8/9hr voyage to Nassau where we'll clear customs.
Comments
Vessel Name: Okwa Naholo
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft, 37 ft Crealock
Hailing Port: Bayou Lacombe/New Orleans, Louisiana
Crew: David, Jolie & TurboDog
Extra:
David & Jolie found their home on Bayou Lacombe in 1992 when searching for a place to keep their "future" sailboat. That first sailboat "Gusto" came soon after. A 27 ft Pearson on which many weekends and holidays were spent with friends and family sailing around Lake Ponchartrain, The [...]

Who: David, Jolie & TurboDog
Port: Bayou Lacombe/New Orleans, Louisiana