Okwa Naholo

Turbodog Goes Back To The Bahamas..

29 November 2014
14 November 2014
11 November 2014 | Pass Christian Marina, MS
29 September 2014

Rose Island

27 February 2011 | Sandy Toes Bar/Grill
Jolie
After 2 nights in a Nassau marina, it was time to head south for the Exumas. We got a late start Friday and the winds were right out of the South. About 1 hr after leaving we decided a 6-8 hr sail straight into the wind was not necessary and headed for the nearby Rose Island. We were anchored by 2 pm in Bottom Harbor. There were only 2 other boats anchored.. both catamarans. We took the dinghy to a small island right off Rose Island and let Turbo run free. On our return to the boat we decided to stop and say Hello to one couple who where sitting in their cockpit. They invited us aboard. They were from Canada and told us they took off 9 years ago to sail around the world on their 40 ft. Cat and didn't get much further than here. They sail around the Bahamas but most of their time is spent right in this little anchorage. They offered us some "fresh out of the pan" lobster egg rolls and Turbo played like a puppy with their dog, Bailey. They told us about some great snorkeling on the other side of the island. We reminded ourselves there's no hurry and decided to stay right here for a few days.

Saturday we took a beautiful path up and over to the north side of the island where the view was even more breathtaking. There are several smaller islands all around (Sandy Cay and Green Cay). Oh!.. and Cay is pronounced KEY here. We snorkeled for a while and hoped to catch a fish or lobster or something for dinner, but there was nothing to be caught. It was great though to finally be in the water, face down. We had jambalaya for dinner and watched a movie. It was a little rocky here when we woke up as the winds have picked up some.

Today we "made water" and did some chores around the boat. Right now we're sitting at the Sandy Toes Bar on the north side of the island. It opens only a couple days a week and is mostly tourists who are shuttled here on boats from nearby hotels and resorts and it is by far the most scenic view so far. I can't even believe I'm on the computer, but we need to catch up.

10-15 kt S and SE winds are forecasted thru Monday. On Tuesday the plan is to head to Allen Cay.
Comments
Vessel Name: Okwa Naholo
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft, 37 ft Crealock
Hailing Port: Bayou Lacombe/New Orleans, Louisiana
Crew: David, Jolie & TurboDog
Extra:
David & Jolie found their home on Bayou Lacombe in 1992 when searching for a place to keep their "future" sailboat. That first sailboat "Gusto" came soon after. A 27 ft Pearson on which many weekends and holidays were spent with friends and family sailing around Lake Ponchartrain, The [...]

Who: David, Jolie & TurboDog
Port: Bayou Lacombe/New Orleans, Louisiana