Okwa Naholo

Turbodog Goes Back To The Bahamas..

29 November 2014
14 November 2014
11 November 2014 | Pass Christian Marina, MS
29 September 2014

A Rich Man's Dream and A Poor Man's Paradise

14 April 2011 | Rum Cay
Jolie
We rendezvoused to Port Nelson, Rum Cay, with Dolphin and Sea Monkey. It was a nice, easy motor-sail crossing over into the Atlantic. Rum Cay is, so far, our favorite anchorage. There are said to be 76 people who live here. There is a constant swell from the ocean which means not much protection and it got pretty rolley but this also makes it less visited than most of the islands. There were by far the most and prettiest reefs to snorkel with plenty of fish too. Our first night we enjoyed a feast on s/v Dolphin of freshly caught Mahi Mahi, fettuchini alfredo, grilled zucchini, pineapple, salad and rum drinks. We also met a younger couple here, Patrick & Megan of Night Cloud. They were lucky enough to be continuing south for a 2 - 3 year trip thru the canal and to the Pacific. Who knows.. hopefully we'll cross paths again in 2 years as we hope to be heading further south and they return home. On our 3rd and last night in Port Nelson, 8 of us enjoyed a meal of Wahoo, Sweet Potatoes, Potatoes Au Gratin, Peas & Rice, and Salad served family style at Kay's Sand Bar & Restaurant. There were pictures of Jimmy Buffet & Bahamian Dignitarians on the wall, the floors were sand, the plumbing didn't work, the tablecloths and decor looked like is was left over from Christmas 1984 and they rotated the same same 3 or 4 songs...... but the beers were cold and flowing, the atmosphere and company great, and we passed a good time.

This would be the turning north point for us and, alone again, we headed to Flamingo Bay on the northern edge of Rum Cay. We're starting to see and catch more fish. There is a learning curve with the pole spear. Spear guns are not legal here and you can't catch any fish on SCUBA, so it's all sorta new to us former competitive spearfishers. We're working well as a team. Seems I'm spotting more of them (Dave's prescription mask is about 15 years old) and he goes in for the kill. Mostly grouper.. some lobster (but they're officially out of season now).
Comments
Vessel Name: Okwa Naholo
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft, 37 ft Crealock
Hailing Port: Bayou Lacombe/New Orleans, Louisiana
Crew: David, Jolie & TurboDog
Extra:
David & Jolie found their home on Bayou Lacombe in 1992 when searching for a place to keep their "future" sailboat. That first sailboat "Gusto" came soon after. A 27 ft Pearson on which many weekends and holidays were spent with friends and family sailing around Lake Ponchartrain, The [...]

Who: David, Jolie & TurboDog
Port: Bayou Lacombe/New Orleans, Louisiana