13 June 2010
13 June 2010 | Chesapeake Bay, MD
18 August 2009
14 August 2009 | Portland
14 August 2009 | Cottage Grove, OR
14 August 2009 | Waterfront Portland
14 July 2009 | Potomac River , VA
14 July 2009 | St Mary's Village
14 July 2009 | Omarsea HomeSchool
14 July 2009 | Horseshoe Cove
14 July 2009 | Annapolis MD
14 July 2009 | Maryland
14 July 2009 | St Mary's State house
14 July 2009 | St Mary's MD
16 June 2009
30 May 2009 | North Carolina
30 May 2009 | North Carolina
30 May 2009 | Carolina Beach, NC

Collision @ Anchor!

15 February 2008 | Pidgeon Isle St Lucia
We are moored outside Rodney bay with many other boats today. After having spent the morning climbing to the Fort on Pigeon isle and splashing in the water we returned to the Omarsea for lunch. Within a short period Stevie who happened to be on deck cried out. I ran up to the deck and found that another boat was crashing into us from the port side. A lifeline lay twisted and loose on the deck stanchions bent and toe rail banged up. The offending boat was threatening to tear herself down the entire port side of our beloved Omarsea. Jean rushed to fend it off. I jumped to help calling to Julie for a line. Pushing with all our strength we forced the 40 footer down our portside and tied it astern with the line. But the Island Packet was to heavy for our single anchor and we started to drag down toward another vessel astern of us. I ran forward and started releasing chain on the anchor rode. In the fray I let the chain run out and the 30' of 5/8" nylon line making up the bitter end caught with a terrible jerk. With both boats now pulling in the 20 knot breeze I was unable to pull the chain back to the gypsy on the windlass. I called for Jean to start the engine and drive us forward so I could recover the end of the chain. Suddenly the wind caught our boat and swung the Island Packet (IP) to port threatening a catamaran moored next to us. Jean gunned the engine and pulled us away from the cat. I brought the chain up to the windlass and locked it in place with our snubber. The anchor was holding fast now so I went astern to see what I could make of this derelict vessel. She had an anchor dangling straight down. Less than 40' of chain had been laid out. I jumped in the dingy and motored over , pulling the smaller boats secondary anchor off the bow, I kedged it far ahead and to the port. The heavy danforth bit right away and we held steady waiting for the owners to return.
Comments
Vessel Name: OmarSea
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanus 510
Hailing Port: Oregon
Crew: Scott, Jean, Ben, Julianna & Stephen
About: We invite you to join us for adventure aboard our floating classroom where our mates Ben, Julianna and Stephen will be learning first hand about our wonderful planet.

S/V OmarSea

Who: Scott, Jean, Ben, Julianna & Stephen
Port: Oregon