13 June 2010
13 June 2010 | Chesapeake Bay, MD
18 August 2009
14 August 2009 | Portland
14 August 2009 | Cottage Grove, OR
14 August 2009 | Waterfront Portland
14 July 2009 | Potomac River , VA
14 July 2009 | St Mary's Village
14 July 2009 | Omarsea HomeSchool
14 July 2009 | Horseshoe Cove
14 July 2009 | Annapolis MD
14 July 2009 | Maryland
14 July 2009 | St Mary's State house
14 July 2009 | St Mary's MD
16 June 2009
30 May 2009 | North Carolina
30 May 2009 | North Carolina
30 May 2009 | Carolina Beach, NC

Kids and Chores Aboard

26 April 2008 | Grenada
We have had numerous conversations with other cruising parents about what chores kids are expected to do onboard. It goes without saying that living aboard with kids certainly has its challenges. It's a small space with lots of stuff that must be constantly put away if only to maintain the barest sense of household. When we moved onto the Omarsea I told the kids they could keep their rooms anyway they liked. But, if they really want to have a messy room they have to keep their door closed so the rest of us wont share their taste in interior d�cor.
Jean came up with the idea of letting the kids have an extra 30 minutes Game boy time on Saturdays if they keep their rooms clean. And like so many things in life it is one third effective.
Benjamin has done an exceptional job of keeping his room well organized and neat. He earns his extra time every week and is a great example to his brother and sister.
In talking with other parents most kids seem to have the basics, i.e. room and some simple cleaning. We instituted a duty roster for dishes some months back under the assumption that "Spare the oar and you spoil the child". Each child does a full day's dishes twice a week with Jean and I handling Sundays. In addition, if it's your day for dishes, you get the honor of handing out the game boys at playtime and also taking out the trash. As we come across issues that denote taking turns we defer to the roster as to whose day it is and what they do. This puts the focus of any negative energy on the roster rather than on the parents. We have heard excellent feedback from a good friend that her child has begun doing chores and is taking great pride in her efforts. What a win/win for both of them! It would seem that kids who have responsibility are more likely to take pride in themselves, their home and have more respect for their parents. It was tough love up front buy I tell you what, after working all afternoon on plumbing in the bilges it is really nice to have someone else handle the cleanup in the galley after dinner!
Comments
Vessel Name: OmarSea
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanus 510
Hailing Port: Oregon
Crew: Scott, Jean, Ben, Julianna & Stephen
About: We invite you to join us for adventure aboard our floating classroom where our mates Ben, Julianna and Stephen will be learning first hand about our wonderful planet.

S/V OmarSea

Who: Scott, Jean, Ben, Julianna & Stephen
Port: Oregon