13 June 2010
13 June 2010 | Chesapeake Bay, MD
18 August 2009
14 August 2009 | Portland
14 August 2009 | Cottage Grove, OR
14 August 2009 | Waterfront Portland
14 July 2009 | Potomac River , VA
14 July 2009 | St Mary's Village
14 July 2009 | Omarsea HomeSchool
14 July 2009 | Horseshoe Cove
14 July 2009 | Annapolis MD
14 July 2009 | Maryland
14 July 2009 | St Mary's State house
14 July 2009 | St Mary's MD
16 June 2009
30 May 2009 | North Carolina
30 May 2009 | North Carolina
30 May 2009 | Carolina Beach, NC

Young Engineers

14 July 2009 | Omarsea HomeSchool
Scott Trefethen
In working with geometric shapes and angles we happened across some of the more interesting applications to our intro to Algebra. Quickly concieving the notion that hands on migh work better than paper and pencile we moved from the drawing board right to the workshop and dragged out the old connects for this project.
Balancing equations can be pretty dull stuff in the classroom even in homeschool so we decided to build a catapult to measure the F=MA equation I gave the kids. Granted the force was pretty subjective as you had to pull the lever back to a given mark on the machine. But it worked suficiently well enough to get the essage across. We were looking at how far a catapult would send objects of differing mass flying across the boat. This worked out much better than I expected as we could set the catapult up with fairly consistent results for a given object and really see how the heavy objects did not go as far as their lighter counterparts.
Then it became all about range and angles to make the objects fly farther. We had accidentaly begun the physics of trajectory and rocket science. The boys played with this for over 3 hours that morning taking measurements and recording their findings to later graph them and show Jean and I.
Comments
Vessel Name: OmarSea
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanus 510
Hailing Port: Oregon
Crew: Scott, Jean, Ben, Julianna & Stephen
About: We invite you to join us for adventure aboard our floating classroom where our mates Ben, Julianna and Stephen will be learning first hand about our wonderful planet.

S/V OmarSea

Who: Scott, Jean, Ben, Julianna & Stephen
Port: Oregon