S/V Adventure

Follow the O'Neil family, sailing in their Catalina 42, on their 2-year sabbatical to see the Pacific coast of the US, Mexico, and Central America, Galapagos, the South Pacific, and New Zealand.

08 June 2012 | Home
05 June 2012 | 100 miles to the Farallons!
02 June 2012 | 475 miles off the coast
31 May 2012 | 579 miles to go
30 May 2012 | 694 miles to go
30 May 2012 | 800 miles to go
29 May 2012 | 915 miles off California
28 May 2012 | Past halfway between Hawaii and SF
27 May 2012 | Past halfway between Hawaii and SF
26 May 2012 | Halfway between Hawaii and SF
24 May 2012 | Middle of the Pacific Ocean
23 May 2012 | Middle of the Pacific Ocean
22 May 2012 | Middle of the Pacific Ocean
21 May 2012 | Middle of the Pacific Ocean
20 May 2012 | Pacific Gyre
16 May 2012 | Pacific Gyre
16 May 2012 | Pacific
18 September 2011 | Home
07 September 2011 | Crossing the southern tip of the big island
05 September 2011 | Pacific

Movie Night

21 May 2012 | Middle of the Pacific Ocean
Scott
One of the big things we look forward to each day is our nightly movie, where if conditions allow we sit out in the cockpit and watch a movie on the laptop. Each day we rotate who gets to pick the movie, and while this seems simple enough, it's actually turned into a daily social game reminiscent of strategizing to vote someone out in Survivor.

A typical example of how this all works in practice is that around breakfast someone asks the chooser what movie they've picked for tonite. This is really just a feeler so "the audience" (the non-pickers for the night) can start the steering process. Basically, the idea is for the audience to try and "encourage" the chooser to pick what they want to watch, rather than what the chooser really wants.

A couple of days ago, we were talking about various sailing movies, and I mentioned 'Wind" which neither Sean nor Ron had seen, and which I happen to have brought. They were pretty excited about the prospect of seeing this movie at first, so that was the movie I tossed out when queried at breakfast yesterday. Boy, was that a mistake! Both Sean and Ron couldn't have been more negative about my choice, and spent the rest of the day making sure that would NOT the movie we'd end up seeing. And that's sort of the process for the rest of the day - once the audience knows the direction the chooser is headed, it's all about steering them to something that they'd rather watch.

A couple of days back, Ron and I very successfully steered Sean into picking 'Alien' for his choice - which is great because that would have been one of our choices, but now it's like we get to pick an extra movie!

Yesterday after 'Wind' and 'Kelly's Heroes' were shot down, along with a few other possibilities, I managed to squeeze in 'Wild Target', maybe only because Ron hadn't yet seen it.

About the only movie there wasn't any argument about was the first movie we watched - 'Captain Ron'.

Sean has proposed a system where the chooser selects 3 movies, then the audience has to choose 1 of those 3 by consensus. I think this is a really bad idea but I know how to work this system - I'll just choose 'Wind', 'Cinderella', and 'Dumbo' for my three. Consensus build on that, fellas!

Ron's plan is to slowly ratchet up the psychological thrillers. Sean seems mostly bent on sneaking in Buster Keaton silent movies.

Tonite is Ron's night again. He's keeping quiet about what movie he's selected, but Sean and I have already started the social engineering process. If that doesn't pan out, it's ok. Ron and I are in a secret alliance, and if Sean doesn't win the immunity idol, we're voting him off the boat.
Comments
Vessel Name: Adventure
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 42
Hailing Port: Marina Bay, Richmond CA
Crew: The O'Neil Family
About: Sean (Captain and Line Man) Kathy (Helmswoman and Cook) Tara - 12 years old at trip start, Casey - 11 years old at trip start (Crew and Students)
Extra: We're on a three-year sabbatical from the daily grind to see the Pacific coast of the US, Mexico, Central America and the South Pacific and stopping at New Zealand.

S/V Adventure

Who: The O'Neil Family
Port: Marina Bay, Richmond CA