S/V Adventure

Follow the O'Neil family, sailing in their Catalina 42, on their 2-year sabbatical to see the Pacific coast of the US, Mexico, and Central America, Galapagos, the South Pacific, and New Zealand.

08 June 2012 | Home
05 June 2012 | 100 miles to the Farallons!
02 June 2012 | 475 miles off the coast
31 May 2012 | 579 miles to go
30 May 2012 | 694 miles to go
30 May 2012 | 800 miles to go
29 May 2012 | 915 miles off California
28 May 2012 | Past halfway between Hawaii and SF
27 May 2012 | Past halfway between Hawaii and SF
26 May 2012 | Halfway between Hawaii and SF
24 May 2012 | Middle of the Pacific Ocean
23 May 2012 | Middle of the Pacific Ocean
22 May 2012 | Middle of the Pacific Ocean
21 May 2012 | Middle of the Pacific Ocean
20 May 2012 | Pacific Gyre
16 May 2012 | Pacific Gyre
16 May 2012 | Pacific
18 September 2011 | Home
07 September 2011 | Crossing the southern tip of the big island
05 September 2011 | Pacific

Another day of nothing much going on

29 May 2012 | 915 miles off California
Scott
Sean and Ron decided it's my turn to write another blog entry. Partly because they have been writing most of them, but also because they can't think of anything to write either.

The last few days have been pretty mellow. We've been sailing with the wind behind us for the past 9 hours or so, which has been generally nice. Hopefully this pattern continues and blows us right into the bay. It's not super comfortable, as the swell is coming at us both from astern and abeam. The beam swells give us a nice big roll every minute or so - people, food, and dishes flying across the cabin each time (just kidding on the dishes, Kathy).

Sean, as usual, has been really mean to his crew. Kathy told him that I get to choose movies three nights in a row for the whole engine thing, but Sean refuses to let either Ron or I pick any movies anymore. He claims he's asserting his captain's prerogative. I think tonite will be the 5th night in a row that we "get" to watch the Buster Keaton silent film classic "The General". Just kidding, it's really only the 3rd night in a row.

It's gotten much colder the last few days, in a continuing progression of increasing clothing since leaving Hawaii - going from shorts and t-shirts to sweats and windbreakers. We don't have much further north to go, so hoping we won't be getting out the foulies. At least now that we have broken free from the grip of the Pacific High we are no longer having nightly squalls. It's been mostly overcast, with the sun making an appearance from time to time. In the past couple of hours the temperature has really plummeted and everyone is discussing whether we are at longjohn latitude.

The miracle water tank of plenty, which has been registered on the gauges as EMPTY for the past four days finally did run dry. We switched to another tank which I suspect will will run dry in about a day in order to keep the cosmic balance.

During last night's movie we saw miles left to go on the GPS drop from "1000" to "999". Sean said something witty, like "yay...". We've turned the corner and are finally on the backside of the trip...

Well, it's time for the daily floggings administered by our illustrious skipper. So far morale is not improving, so I guess they will continue for now. Ron and I were plotting mutiny, but Sean hid all the markers so we couldn't give him a black spot.

That's all from S/V Adventure for today!
Comments
Vessel Name: Adventure
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 42
Hailing Port: Marina Bay, Richmond CA
Crew: The O'Neil Family
About: Sean (Captain and Line Man) Kathy (Helmswoman and Cook) Tara - 12 years old at trip start, Casey - 11 years old at trip start (Crew and Students)
Extra: We're on a three-year sabbatical from the daily grind to see the Pacific coast of the US, Mexico, Central America and the South Pacific and stopping at New Zealand.

S/V Adventure

Who: The O'Neil Family
Port: Marina Bay, Richmond CA