Travels Aboard Onward

11 March 2016
08 August 2014 | Finike Setur Marina
01 July 2014
12 June 2014 | Colmar and Strasbourg
30 April 2014
28 April 2014
11 April 2014 | Turkey
23 February 2014
08 February 2014 | Italy
16 December 2013
07 November 2013 | Gocek, Turkey
08 September 2013 | Fethiye, Turkey

A Great Visit With Stephanie and Aleks

08 September 2013 | Fethiye, Turkey
Clear blue skies, sun and heat!


A Great Visit with Stephanie and Aleks

We were excited to have Stephanie and Aleks come to visit us in Fethiye! It had been a trip planned for many months and day had finally arrived after their 3 day visit in Istanbul.

It's so handy to pick up guests at one of our favourite anchorages, just a 20 minute drive from the airport but in the middle of wilderness. Trevor picked them up at Sarsala Beach at noon.



It wasn't long until we were in the water enjoying the beautiful warm clear waters.



For three days we relaxed, enjoying the sun, water and a little site seeing cruises along the coast see some of the Lycian tombs that have some of the best views in the world overlooking the blue waters of the Turkish Med.


























Steph had a brain wave and decided she would create her own foot fish therapy (you know when you put your feet in a tank of water with small fish to nibble away at your feet). So Aleks took her for a trip in the dinghy with a pail in hand along with some bread to attract the fish. Unfortunately, the fish didn't think it was such a great idea so the plan never did come to fruition.





























One evening we anchored at Gocek and walked around the small village and went off menu and had Italian food... a treat something Trevor and I don't get often in our part of Turkey when we go out for dinner.
























It was with some hesitation that we decided to leave the anchorages and head into the marina for some land touring for a few days.








We had a beautiful sail back to Fethiye with Aleks taking the helm for the trip back and Stephanie trimming the sails.












Trevor and I decided we liked having a crew for a day as we sat back and relaxed.




































For the next few days, we toured around the town, walking, biking, driving and yes, even a little paragliding!

First, the most exciting - paragliding! Aleks and Trevor decided to do the tandem jump off Baba Dag (which means Father Mountain in Turkish) at 2000 metres. Since they hadn't pre-booked, and it was still high season with lots of people wanting to partake in the adventure, they were fortunate that there were a couple of "no shows" for the first flight of the morning. It's a long windy narrow road up the mountain that can be more nerve racking than the jump. It was a beautiful day, clear blue skies (but then it's like that every day for 4 straight months in southern Turkey).














After launching from 2000 meters, you glide down to sea level with numerous other paragliders. Depending on winds and updraft, most take about 25 to 30 minutes to come down.






You glide over the resort village of Oludeniz and the lagoon which is photographed and shown in many tourist brochures for Turkey. You can see the beautiful long sand beach and ends with the spit at the entrance to the lagoon.






















Later in the day, we drove further along the coast where we could look back to Baba Dag where we took a photo of Aleks and Trevor with Baba Dag in the background. (The launch point is the highest peak set behind them in the photo with close up photo's surrounding them.)









































So our days were full, biking along the promenade and stopping at one of the inventive outdoor adult fitness centres overlooking the sea; going to the market where fruits and vegetables of all descriptions are sold and where Stephanie purchased a sponge loufa similar to those used in the famous Turkish bath house (oh yes, they went for a Turkish bath and massage one afternoon too). Aleks had a great experience receiving a full service shave and massage at one of the many barbers that are all over town.


We really hope that they enjoyed seeing our current home... Fethiye, Turkey and hope even more, that they'll return to see us again aboard Onward before too long and where ever that may be.
Comments
Vessel Name: Onward
Vessel Make/Model: Taswell 43 All Season Raised Salon
Hailing Port: Vancouver
Crew: Jean Webster and Trevor Johnson
About:
We've both been on the water most of our lives in one style of boat or another. Having sailed the Great Lakes and then enjoying a few years in the Rhode Island area while working in Massachusetts, we thought it would be great to sail the West Coast of Canada. [...]
Social:
Onward's Photos - Main
14 Photos
Created 18 March 2016
On a trip back to Canada, we flew via Iceland and stopped for 4 days to tour part of the country. The country is full of beautiful and diverse scenery in short distances.
17 Photos
Created 24 January 2016
We stopped for 3 day visit on our way from Turkey back to Vancouver in June 2015.
16 Photos
Created 2 July 2015
We wintered in Setur Marina, Finike and plan to head West this summer.
23 Photos
Created 29 March 2015
We spent 7 winter months living aboard while moored at Porto Montenegro in Tivat, Montenegro in 2010/2011. One of our favourite days was having a small group of international school children aboard for a lesson on use of water and our wise use of it while living aboard. Our land travels took us across the country and to Serbia and Hungry for Christmas Markets.
46 Photos
Created 19 October 2014
After 22 years, it was time to give Onward a facelift. The previous owners had painted the waterline and the paint had deteriorated. That along with a few war scars, it was a good time to have her painted while we were still in Turkey. We decided to also take the bottom back and have it epoxied and new antifouling. The Setur Marina yard in Finike did all the work and we really couldn't have been much happier.
41 Photos
Created 8 August 2014
69 Photos
Created 21 July 2014
Strasbourg is 1 of the 9 largest cities in France with nearly 1/2 million inhabitants in a metropolitan area spanning across the river into the German city of Kehl, on the eastern bank of the Rhine. The city itself is the seat of the Council of Europe, the European Court of Human Rights, the European Ombudsman, the Eurocorps, the European Audiovisual Observatory and, most famously, the European Parliament[2], which also holds sessions in Brussels. Colmar is renowned for its well preserved old town situated among canals and also known as Little Venice.
21 Photos
Created 7 July 2014
We rented a car for 5 days and drove to see the War Memorials of Gallipoli and stopped in at Troy
44 Photos
Created 31 March 2014
34 Photos
Created 15 March 2014
A quick flight from Antalya, Turkey to Nicosia, Cyprus.... a winter get away.
29 Photos
Created 9 March 2014
We stayed at the Yacht Club in Venice for 8 days and hosted our good friends Cindy and Allan for several days while touring Venice.
39 Photos
Created 7 February 2014
We cruised Croatia June through September - the best gunk holing in the Med!
76 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
61 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
Here is a collection of boats from West Coast of Canada, Eastern US, Bahamas and Med, of all sizes, types, ages and uses.
74 Photos
Created 18 August 2013
26 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
39 Photos
Created 10 May 2013
43 Photos
Created 29 April 2013
Photos of flag from the countries we've visited aboard Onward
32 Photos
Created 19 April 2013
Our daughter Erica and son-in-law Alex visited with us for 10 days during their 3 weeks in Turkey. We were so happy to have them come and share this beautiful country with them.
54 Photos
Created 9 February 2013
33 Photos
Created 9 January 2013
33 Photos
Created 2 November 2012
We travelled 2200 km over 6 days with 7 cruising couples to see Cappadocia. Almost the centre of Turkey, our driver & guide led us through amazing topography, an early morning balloon ride among 70 balloons, pottery & carpet making galleries and demonstrations. On our way, we stopped near Isparta to see the remote Roman ruins of Sagalassos. On our return home, we stopped in the City of Antalya on the Med coast overnight. A lot of travelling but certainly worth it and we were glad to have a driver! For anyone coming to Turkey and with the time, it is one of the "must sees".
83 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 18 September 2012
Site Meter