Travels Aboard Onward

11 March 2016
08 August 2014 | Finike Setur Marina
01 July 2014
12 June 2014 | Colmar and Strasbourg
30 April 2014
28 April 2014
11 April 2014 | Turkey
23 February 2014
08 February 2014 | Italy
16 December 2013
07 November 2013 | Gocek, Turkey
08 September 2013 | Fethiye, Turkey

Gallipoli

28 April 2014
Last Fall we visited Gallipoli. Gallipoli is the name of the peninsula on the European side of Turkey at the beginning of the Straits of Dardanelles that leads through the Sea of Marmara and onto Istanbul.



Throughout history this Strait was important as any navy that could pass through the Straits of Dardanelles had a good chance of then capturing Istanbul, the capital of the Eastern European world. The Strait is only 1.4 km wide at the narrowest point, so offered the best opportunity to cross between Europe and Asia Minor.

The Gallipoli peninsula was the site of the 1915 WWI Allied forces failed attempt to force their way through the Strait toward Istanbul and resulted in more than 500,000 casualties on all sides. Winston Churchill organized a naval assault that included British, French, Australian, New Zealand and Indian Troops. Many countries joined with Turkey in the defence. Many lives were lost including 55,000 Turkish and 36,000 British.

Visitors come every year from all over the world, but a very large contingent from Australia and New Zealand, who lost many and suffered many casualties in the battle as well. Each April 25, Australia recognizes the sacrifices of their war dead on Anzac Memorial Day.

Much of the peninsula is now a National Park encompassing 31 war memorials.

A new Welcome Centre explains the history of the Strait and the 1915 Gallipoli Battle with the assistance of a series of 7 progressive theatres. Each theatre presentation takes you to a different point in the battle, for instance:

- in one theatre you are standing on a moving floor simulating the deck of a Turkish ship at sea laying mines on the sea bottom of the Dardenelles,
- in another, rather than sitting in seats, you stand in a maze of trenches during a battle with injured all around
- in yet another, you are in the Captain's quarters of a battleship planning an attack.

We spent most of the day driving through the park and visiting War Memorials for many of the countries that took part.

Anzac Cove is the site of the ill-fated Allied landing where the Turkish forces held off the invasion from April through August and become the site of the bloodiest battle of the entire campaign.




Another monument is a statue of Huseyin Kacmaz holding the hand of his granddaughter. This man fought in the Balkan Wars, the Gallipoli Campaign and the War of Independence, and was the last Turkish survivor of the Gallipoli when he died at age 110 in 1994.



A Turkish monument now stands near Anzac Cove and repeats the famous 1934 words of Mustafa Kemal (Ataturk) (see note about Ataturk at bottom), a Divisional Commander who successfully commanded the Turkish defence at Gallipoli and later became the hero of the Turkish War of Independence, Founder of Turkish Republic and is still today considered a hero throughout Turkey.

"To us there is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets...
You, the mothers, who sent your sons from faraway countries,
Wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom....
After losing their lives in this land they have become our sons as well."


'Johnnie' - name signifying an ordinary British/Australian/New Zealand soldier
'Mehmet' - similarly, a symbolic name for an ordinary Turkish soldier.


This monument represents a Turkish soldier carrying one of the Allied soldiers.










































































ATATURK

Mustafa Kemal, was proclaimed Ataturk (Father Turk) by the Turkish Parliament in 1935. Until that time, Turkish Muslim's had only one given name but it was decreed in 1935 that all Turks should choose a family name as well. It was one of Ataturk's many reforms to transform the Turkish society during the 1920's and 1930's.

Others included the abolishment of polygamy and the fez (a hat considered a mark of Ottoman backwardness), new Western-style legal codes, civil rather than religious marriage and the Arabic alphabet was replaced by a modified Latin one. Women obtained the right to vote and serve in Parliament.

Today you see his photo everywhere and his face appears on many flags. While at Gallipoli, we passed a building with a collage of many small photos of Ataturk that were situated in a manner to make an overall photo of Ataturk.




Comments
Vessel Name: Onward
Vessel Make/Model: Taswell 43 All Season Raised Salon
Hailing Port: Vancouver
Crew: Jean Webster and Trevor Johnson
About:
We've both been on the water most of our lives in one style of boat or another. Having sailed the Great Lakes and then enjoying a few years in the Rhode Island area while working in Massachusetts, we thought it would be great to sail the West Coast of Canada. [...]
Social:
Onward's Photos - Main
14 Photos
Created 18 March 2016
On a trip back to Canada, we flew via Iceland and stopped for 4 days to tour part of the country. The country is full of beautiful and diverse scenery in short distances.
17 Photos
Created 24 January 2016
We stopped for 3 day visit on our way from Turkey back to Vancouver in June 2015.
16 Photos
Created 2 July 2015
We wintered in Setur Marina, Finike and plan to head West this summer.
23 Photos
Created 29 March 2015
We spent 7 winter months living aboard while moored at Porto Montenegro in Tivat, Montenegro in 2010/2011. One of our favourite days was having a small group of international school children aboard for a lesson on use of water and our wise use of it while living aboard. Our land travels took us across the country and to Serbia and Hungry for Christmas Markets.
46 Photos
Created 19 October 2014
After 22 years, it was time to give Onward a facelift. The previous owners had painted the waterline and the paint had deteriorated. That along with a few war scars, it was a good time to have her painted while we were still in Turkey. We decided to also take the bottom back and have it epoxied and new antifouling. The Setur Marina yard in Finike did all the work and we really couldn't have been much happier.
41 Photos
Created 8 August 2014
69 Photos
Created 21 July 2014
Strasbourg is 1 of the 9 largest cities in France with nearly 1/2 million inhabitants in a metropolitan area spanning across the river into the German city of Kehl, on the eastern bank of the Rhine. The city itself is the seat of the Council of Europe, the European Court of Human Rights, the European Ombudsman, the Eurocorps, the European Audiovisual Observatory and, most famously, the European Parliament[2], which also holds sessions in Brussels. Colmar is renowned for its well preserved old town situated among canals and also known as Little Venice.
21 Photos
Created 7 July 2014
We rented a car for 5 days and drove to see the War Memorials of Gallipoli and stopped in at Troy
44 Photos
Created 31 March 2014
34 Photos
Created 15 March 2014
A quick flight from Antalya, Turkey to Nicosia, Cyprus.... a winter get away.
29 Photos
Created 9 March 2014
We stayed at the Yacht Club in Venice for 8 days and hosted our good friends Cindy and Allan for several days while touring Venice.
39 Photos
Created 7 February 2014
We cruised Croatia June through September - the best gunk holing in the Med!
76 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
61 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
Here is a collection of boats from West Coast of Canada, Eastern US, Bahamas and Med, of all sizes, types, ages and uses.
74 Photos
Created 18 August 2013
26 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
39 Photos
Created 10 May 2013
43 Photos
Created 29 April 2013
Photos of flag from the countries we've visited aboard Onward
32 Photos
Created 19 April 2013
Our daughter Erica and son-in-law Alex visited with us for 10 days during their 3 weeks in Turkey. We were so happy to have them come and share this beautiful country with them.
54 Photos
Created 9 February 2013
33 Photos
Created 9 January 2013
33 Photos
Created 2 November 2012
We travelled 2200 km over 6 days with 7 cruising couples to see Cappadocia. Almost the centre of Turkey, our driver & guide led us through amazing topography, an early morning balloon ride among 70 balloons, pottery & carpet making galleries and demonstrations. On our way, we stopped near Isparta to see the remote Roman ruins of Sagalassos. On our return home, we stopped in the City of Antalya on the Med coast overnight. A lot of travelling but certainly worth it and we were glad to have a driver! For anyone coming to Turkey and with the time, it is one of the "must sees".
83 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 18 September 2012
Site Meter