Travels with Inspiration at Sea

Hans Christian 38 MK II

28 July 2015 | Underway
28 July 2015 | Underway
25 July 2015 | Underway
24 July 2015 | Underway
22 July 2015 | Underway
21 July 2015 | Underway
20 July 2015 | Underway
19 July 2015 | Underway
18 July 2015 | Underway
17 July 2015 | Underway
16 July 2015 | Underway
15 July 2015 | Underway
14 July 2015 | Underway
13 July 2015 | Underway
12 July 2015 | Underway
11 July 2015 | Underway
10 July 2015 | Underway
09 July 2015 | Underway
08 July 2015 | Underway
07 July 2015 | Underway

Day 44 part 2

28 July 2015 | Underway
I never thought I would miss the tasty crunch of a Granny Smith apple, or even a stem of Broccoli as much as I do right now. But with less than five hours to go after nearly 1200, and being so ready for land and a beer yesterday, I'm finding my self wanting to swing 180 and put back to sea. Granted that beer and burger did taste truly magnificent, and the whisky even better (made all the tastier by being slightly cheeky). A passage like this has been such a long time coming for me, and although I'm now sure that it will be the first of many, with the sails all in the wind and the last port only two shakes away, I wish we had just one more day. One more time cooking dinner uphill. One more night of glittering phosphorescence. One more day of 20 foot waves and 35 knot winds. One more day with no waves and no knot winds. One more day with nothing but blue on every horizon.

It's been a steep learning curve for me, going from a casual coasty to a blue water sailor. You subconsciously become immersed in every aspect of seaman ship. From learning how to tie an impressive repertoire of nautical knots, to figuring out the finicky tricks of maintaining and fixing an engine, to mending high pressure gas hoses, to understanding the best points of sail for a Hans Christian, to using the curvature of the earth to navigate from A to B in the most efficient way possible (which as it turns out is not in a straight line). I'll take all the knowledge I have picked up from Vicky, Inspiration, and her many books with with me to the bitter end.

I can't wait for the next time I'm aboard a good ship, even if it means eating several hundred packets of Ramen noodles, and sleeping (or lack there of) inside a washing machine. It's adventure that constantly beckons more adventure, the more you sail the more you want to sail. Everything, even going to the toilet becomes a challenge, and every time you win you fortify the need for another hurdle. I'm buzzing to get home and see everyone again, but sailing is now carved into my flesh (literally, apparently they're called boat bites) and salt coursing through my vain's, I would sail around in circles if I had to, preferably ones of latitude, but smaller ones if need be.
Comments
Vessel Name: Inspiration at Sea
Vessel Make/Model: Hans Christian 38 MKII
Hailing Port: Vancouver BC
Crew: Vicky & Chika
About: sailing at age 8, Manitoba lakes BC sailing the BC coast last 30 plus years delived boats for 2 years Pacific & Atlantic Charted my 51 Tatoosh for 2 years east coast now voyaging past 9 years on the Pacific Dishes yellow lab now 10 is in BC Chika .. Siamese now 7 is first mate
Extra: Marshalls currently.. sorting out crew.. for next legs.. Guam Palau and Japan on the charts in furture circle back to Mexico