Itchy feet is a terminal condition

27 July 2023 | Savusavu Fiji
21 July 2023 | Apia
16 July 2023 | Vava'u
06 July 2023 | Nuku' alofa Tonga
12 November 2014 | Mooloolaba, Queensland
27 July 2014 | Vava'u Tonga
27 July 2014 | Vava'u Tonga
30 June 2014 | Nuku'alofa, Tonga
24 May 2014 | Tahiti
16 April 2014
15 April 2014
10 April 2014
06 April 2014
17 March 2014 | Isla San Cristobal, Galapagos.
13 January 2014 | East Lemon Cays, San Blas, Panama
27 December 2013 | San Andres, Columbia
25 December 2013 | San Andres, Columbia
26 October 2013 | San Blas, Panama
21 October 2013 | Portobello, Panama

Sea Trials..

04 October 2013 | Gree Island, San Blas
Richard
.....and tribulations. I don't often feel down but Ooroo doesn't feel like the same boat now.

Lots of little issues are plaguing her and with that my confidence is somewhat low right now.

Her maiden, post strike voyage to Provenir, the gateway to the San Blas Islands began with both engines filing as we left the marina. My bad. While I had checked and checked again the engines, navigation system etc, I had simply forgot to open the fuel lines. Xavier, while waving Ooroo to us with Alexandra was quick to act, commandeering the marina dingy to assist us if we drifted into the reef. I had one engine again started by the time he got to us so it was a clumsy farewell. I spent the next 30minutes in the engine room bleeding the fuel on the other engine before we had both powering along quite nicely.

We calibrated the new Auto Helm and set course.

Calm, still seas abruptly showed who was boss when a thunderstorm shot out from the mainland, obscuring visibility while dumping heavy rain in 25 knots of wind. Then it disappeared as fast as it came leaving us enough wind to sail at 6 to 8 knots for the last two hours of the trip. That was delightful. The sails hadn't been up in almost 5 months .

Untying from a dock is a pleasure, Sleeping while under anchor is a dream.
The check in at Provenir the next morning was a sinch as was the short motor to Lemon Cay.

We anchored near new friends Cecile and Javier, shot a small Snapper , swan in turquoise water and shared a sunset Pastis. All I need is a delightful accent and I could be French now.

We motor sailed to Green Island where we will meet other friends who will do some cloth work on our new rain catching bimini. Both the engine driven fridge system and the DC system then stopped working. These systems are completely unrelated. I managed to bypass the switch on the DC system to get some coolness back, but this is a new system and shouldn't play up. The new GPS is way off in its accuracy and is running very hot, the port engine failed again....this time not my bad....I had to bleed the fuel while underway and will try and source the fuel issue when anchored tonight . All this while baking bread, which I might add was the only highlight today.

Now in secluded paradise surrounded by reefs and an island as big as the average Aussie home, Oli and I can spear fish and swim when not fixing stuff. We purchased a bag of lobster for $8 from a dug out canoe that typifies the simple life the Kuna people here live. I'm looking forward to learning more about their culture. They are a happy people who only marry their own kind. Culture remains in tack. The few words of Spanish we know fall on death ears....only adding to the seclusion.
Comments
Vessel Name: Little Fish
Vessel Make/Model: Catana 42
Hailing Port: Mooloolaba, Queensland, Australia
Crew: Richard & Jules McLeod
About:
Jules and I purchased our first boat in Saint Augustine FL, USA and sailed it back to Mooloolaba, Australia over a 30 month period. Many adventures were had as you can see from pat blogs. [...]
Extra: Our first boat “Ooroo” took us to amazing places over 17,000nm’s. Now with our second boat the limit of our travels is endless. After spending time in the Pacific and Asia we may complete the circumnavigation.
Little Fish's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 21 January 2023
11 Photos
Created 13 November 2012
Just some before photo's.....how will be look after.
26 Photos
Created 3 November 2011