Travels of Optimus Prime

22 September 2017 | Marina Del Rey, Fajardo
31 May 2017 | Puerto Del Rey Marina, Fajardo Puerto Rico
28 May 2017 | Puerto Del Rey Marina, Fajardo Puerto Rico
22 May 2017 | Crown Bay Marina, St.Thomas
22 May 2017 | Charlotte Amalie, St.Thomas
18 May 2017 | St.James
15 May 2017 | St.John, USVI
11 May 2017 | Norman Island
09 May 2017 | Peter Island
04 May 2017 | Eustatia Sound Anchorage
03 May 2017 | White Bay, Jost Van Dyke
28 April 2017 | Leinster Bay
21 April 2017 | White Bay, Jost Van Dyke
17 April 2017 | BVI
05 April 2017 | Great Harbor, Peter Island
01 April 2017 | Virgin Gorda
26 March 2017 | Leverick Bay
24 March 2017 | Annaberg Sugar Mill Ruins
24 March 2017 | Marina Cay
24 March 2017 | Maho Bay

The Rant on our 2nd attempt at White Bay on Jost

21 April 2017 | White Bay, Jost Van Dyke
This will be a little bit of a rant!

We left Great Harbor on Jost Thursday morning with hopes of getting a mooring in White Bay on Jost. For anyone not familiar, this is a small anchorage with two marked access point through the reef- the eastern access is very narrow but closest to the mooring balls and boats tend to anchor in the western portion. Due to the shallow water, narrow confines, and that we are probably way too cautious, our first time in we wanted to get a mooring so we could check the anchorage out. As the mooring field came into site, there were two mooring open- or so it appeared. Once we past through the narrow inlet, we realized the preferred open mooring was not an option due to the 56' Cat on anchor next to it - so much for not anchoring in the mooring field. We headed for the other open ball, tied up and realized why it was open. The winds were 15-18 and the waves that ran across the reef were 1-3 feet which rocked us sideways. It took less than two minutes of this for to jump to plan "b".

We headed up to Diamond Cay for the night with the thought we'd try again Friday (today)since the wind and wave conditions were suppose to be better. Well, we spotted one open mooring (the one blocked by the Cat the day before) so we lined up with the entrance and headed in. We were less than 100 yards out from the reef entrance when we saw the large power cat full speed come across our starboard side cutting us off while creating a huge wake as he raced to get the only available mooring ball -Friggin' Jackass. This inconsiderate moron's wake rocked the entire mooring field. He definitely knew that we were headed for that ball since it was the only one available and we were so close to the entrance. We've seen boats race for moorings but never anything this reckless and rude especially considering the proximity of the reef.

Anyway, Keith took evasive action to minimize the impact of his wake on us and in the midst of lots of colorful language, we went to Great Harbor, checked out, and are now sitting in Leinster on St.John. To answer the inevitable question, yes we could have waited for a ball to open but, we both knew that meant a definite confrontation with the Jackass -that would have been initiated by us; although it most certainly would have provided the entire anchorage with free entertainment for the morning! We'll try White Harbor again in a week or so when the Spring Break crowds have diminished.

Photo is of the snorkeling area at Leinster.
Comments
Vessel Name: Optimus Prime
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 49
Hailing Port: Cameron Park
Crew: Keith & Dana Jensen
Optimus Prime's Photos - Main
Crocodile sanctuary and a couple photos of the town.
9 Photos
Created 21 January 2016
7 Photos
Created 17 July 2015
6 Photos
Created 17 July 2015
5 Photos
Created 31 January 2015
6 Photos
Created 17 November 2014
6 Photos
Created 17 November 2014
2 Photos
Created 17 November 2014
8 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 10 November 2014
Photos taken while enroute and during our stay at Turtle Bay
1 Photo
Created 1 November 2014
Start of the Baja Ha Ha 2014
3 Photos
Created 27 October 2014
11 Photos
Created 20 September 2014
1 Photo
Created 31 August 2014