Options

17 October 2012 | North Carolina
16 October 2012 | Near Elizabeth City, North Carolina
12 October 2012 | Dismal Swamp, VA-NC
07 October 2012 | Baltimore to Portsmouth, VA
29 August 2012 | Ptown to Edgartown
14 August 2012 | Portland, Maine
13 August 2012 | Freeport, Maine
09 August 2012 | Baltimore to Portsmouth, NH
05 July 2012
07 May 2012 | Cape Hatteras to Norfolk
04 May 2012 | East of Georgia?
03 May 2012 | Stuart, FL
06 January 2012
27 August 2011 | BWI Airport
21 August 2011 | Now in Delaware City
20 August 2011 | Long Island Sound
13 August 2011 | Newport to Cuttyhunk to Vineyard Haven
13 August 2011 | BI, RI
07 August 2011 | Vineyard Haven, Martha's Vineyard

Cuttyhunk or Bust!

07 August 2011 | Vineyard Haven, Martha's Vineyard
David, pinned down by rain and wind
Doug, Jim and David A. awoke on August 1 in Nantucket. Doug and David A. ferried Jim ashore and traded him for Dave R. Jim flew himself home, while our intrepid three-man crew set sail for Cuttyhunk. For once on this trip, we actually had good wind coming from the right direction! First we unfurled the Code Zero, our monster downwind sail. It felt so good to turn off the engines and sail in peace and quiet. As we approached a turning point, we furled up the Code Zero and unleashed our full mainsail and jib. Soon after turning onto our new heading, Doug noticed what seemed to be rainfall moving in from the south. We warmed up the radar and prepared ourselves to get wet. With the warm temperature, we didn't bother to put up the dodger ("windshield") or side screens.

A few minutes later, we were engulfed in fog, not rain! Our visibility shrank to under 100 yards. Doug glued himself to the bow, watching for ghost ships emerging from the fog. Dave R. and David A. glued themselves to the chartplotter with its radar screen tracking faint dots all around. We steered well clear of other ships and only ventured closer when the fog began to thin out. All this while sailing full tilt! As we approached Chappaquiddick (the eastern end of Martha's Vineyard), the fog lifted as quickly as it had set in.

Our adventures for the day were not yet over! The wind built to over 20 knots as we rounded West Chop at the top of Martha's Vineyard. Rather than stop to reef the mainsail, we feathered the sails to ease the strain, as we were just about to douse our sails and head upwind.

We dropped sails as we headed into the treacherous channel through Wood's Hole, home of the fabled oceanographic institution. The tide was ripping along at up to four knots. The current was so strong that the buoys marking the channel were almost on their sides! We felt like we were surfing through the zigzagging channel, running the engines at full to keep control.

Coming out of Wood's Hole, as we turned and motored southwest towards Cuttyhunk, we encountered some rather uncomfortable waves from the strong wind blowing right on our nose. Remembering the old adage that "Gentlemen do not sail to weather", and, of course, being gentlemen, we altered course to sail in close to the Elizabeth Islands, letting them block the wind and waves for us. Next thing you know, we were in the outer harbor of Cuttyhunk, at the end of the chain of islands. Alas, there was no room at the inn--the moorings in the inner harbor were full. David A. was all set to anchor when Dave R. suggested checking for dock space. David A. was sure they could not accommodate a catamaran, but, ever polite, made the call and was delighted to find a good spot on the end of the dock.

As it was a warm day, we found a nice beach and ventured into the cold water, some deeper than others. (David A. got both feet wet!) After showers aboard and a fresh round of "Painkillers" (a Caribbean cocktail), we returned ashore to find one of the best little pizza places. We would highly recommend the Godfather pizza at Soprano's! On the way to and from dinner we enjoyed the beginning and end of a gorgeous red sunset sneaking its way under the cloud bank.

David A.

P.S. The photo is of Cuttyhunk's inner harbor, next to the main dock.


Comments
Vessel Name: Options
Vessel Make/Model: Admiral 40
Hailing Port: St. Louis, MO
Crew: David and Brooke Atkinson
About: David and Brooke reside in St. Louis and enjoy sailing (duh!), music, history and traveling. Brooke is a wonderful cook and David is an adequate guitarist. They signed up for an Admiral 38 in 2005. By waiting until 2008 for delivery, they were upgraded to the new Admiral 40.
Extra:
In May 2008, the Atkinsons journeyed to Cape Town, South Africa to work with Admiral Yachts on the finishing touches for Options. David returned in August to sail the completed boat back to North America. Options has been in Florida since October, 2008 and will head for the Bahamas and Caribbean [...]

Options - SA to Carib

Who: David and Brooke Atkinson
Port: St. Louis, MO