Share in Our Adventures with SV ORION

19 September 2014
22 March 2014 | Sidney, B.C.
20 October 2013
14 October 2013 | Victoria, BC
21 February 2013
21 January 2013
30 December 2012
04 November 2012
19 October 2012
18 September 2012
25 July 2012
27 June 2012 | Victoria, B.C.
06 June 2012
27 April 2012
23 March 2012

Montague to Victoria

25 May 2011
The next morning we were up and at it early as the forecast over the next few days was for less than favourable conditions, so this was our window to get to Victoria. As it turns out once we had left the warmth & sunshine in Comox and traveled again under cold & wet conditions. Our Alaska trip came to mind on several occasions as an “it could be worse” comparison! The forecast conditions were scheduled for change in the late afternoon and if all went as predicted we would be tied nicely to the dock by then.

Well....welcome to traveling on the water!~ The predictions came sooner than expected and once committed in Haro Strait, things were just downright nasty. The wind was on our nose and we were now going against the current. Not fun! At one point after taking several large waves over the front and burying the bow we discussed whether we should turn back and head to Sydney. We were both reluctant to do so as it would mean spending several days in Sydney waiting for the next weather window before arriving at our new dock. We checked on Missy, & thankfully she is one tough girl. Not happy, but not visibly seasick so we pushed on and rode out the conditions.

As luck would have it our son who lives in Victoria was off work that day and called to ask for an ETA, well aware that the conditions were ugly & wanting to help us tie up. He decided to sit at Clover Point and wait to see us from there. Once in sight he flashed his headlights from the shore, & words cannot express how excited we were to see him! He and a close friend watched us come around Ogden Point and then happily met us at the dock to take our lines. It was the most joyous end to a very trying day, & a very warm welcome to our new city!

Darren celebrated with a rum, myself with a warm tea & Missy was rewarded with a special place up on the couch that evening so she could catch up on her beauty sleep!
Comments
Vessel Name: Orion
Vessel Make/Model: '38 Dencho Choate
Hailing Port: Victoria, B.C.
Crew: Darren & Cindy, & our adventurous dog Missy!
About: Come share in our living aboard adventures while we work to fund our extended cruising kitty!
Extra: **Comments on our blog posts are encouraged, as we LOVE to read them!

WELCOME ABOARD!

Who: Darren & Cindy, & our adventurous dog Missy!
Port: Victoria, B.C.