Share in Our Adventures with SV ORION

19 September 2014
22 March 2014 | Sidney, B.C.
20 October 2013
14 October 2013 | Victoria, BC
21 February 2013
21 January 2013
30 December 2012
04 November 2012
19 October 2012
18 September 2012
25 July 2012
27 June 2012 | Victoria, B.C.
06 June 2012
27 April 2012
23 March 2012

When Life hands you lemons........

18 September 2012
You have a smash of *Limoncello & decide to take a very impromptu vacation in the Gulf Islands!

Our previous sailing destinations have led us through the Gulf Islands without much discovery. We have spent time anchored in Ganges Harbour on Salt Spring Island and love it, so the rest of the Gulf Islands were a natural draw. We tossed around seeing the San Juans, but decided it would most likely be too busy. So we topped up a few fresh provisions, (the joy of taking your home with you) untied the lines with hopes of finding an anchorage to relax, soak up some sun & re-group.

Our first anchorage, D'Arcy Island was a beautiful little spot with a gorgeous sandy beach and a hiking trail to exercise Missy. We had this spot to ourselves & couldn't believe the sounds & sights of nature it provided. Seals were talking to each other non-stop, porpoises passed by, birds sang galore, & the sunsets were breathtaking! This was a wonderful start to our unplanned adventure!

Next we headed off to Annette Inlet on Prevost Island where we fell in love with another inlet. The head of the inlet is beautiful farm land with cows, horses & roosters providing an amazing back drop to the shoreline! The water temperature was amazingly warm and the next few days found us leaping from the boat and swimming until we were tired! Such a wonderful experience.

We left Prevost & headed on to see Mayne Island. A picturesque little place with friendly people and cottages scattered on every piece of available land on the hills. We fondly refer to this island as “cottage country,” similar to Ontario Lakes.

Our next destination was to meet up with good friends Rudy & Donna in Port Browning, on Pender Island for the weekend. We arrived there in need of water, only to find out that the Gulf Islands are all on Wells & not able to fully share! They allowed us to fill up our boat as long as we used a bucket, not a hose! Thankfully Darren was determined, and used one of my dry bags to haul the water needed for another week of use. Even had the opportunity to fit in an afternoon paddle with Donna, arriving back to Rudy's Lime Margaritas! We hiked a country mile to enjoy their public market and stock up on fresh provisions, more wine & even got to take in a live “all female” band (Curl Girls) playing rockin blues in the local pub! What a wonderful time we had!

Saturna Island was next on our agenda with a winery to visit & some tasting to do! We treated ourselves to lunch in the Saturna Island Pub and took Missy for a dockside stroll. Deciding to make homemade borscht for dinner, I quickly ran up to their general store in search of sour cream. This was the most unique general store I had ever seen! Turned out to be a computer lab/art studio, milk, eggs, ice cream & chocolate bar store – but no sour cream! I decided to re-visit the pub where we had lunch and beg, borrow or steal a cup of sour cream. The cook there was insistent that I realize he is NOT a store & that he needs his sour cream for the nachos that are a big seller in the pub. After explaining that I understood that, he softened and asked me what I was making for my husband, when I said borscht, he dropped his head, put his hand to his heart & said “oh alright, you can't eat borsch without sour cream!” He then handed me a full cup and half, I just loved this guy!

We headed out next to discover the Saturna Winery & enjoy taste tests of their wines. A beautiful hike, with the vineyards lining the way to the top of the mountain where the views were spectacular! We fell in love with all their wines, (what a surprise), and brought back a few bottles to indulge in.

Our adventure took us then to Bedwell Bay, on Pender Island and then for an entire day sailing and soaking up the sun on our way to Sidney spit. What a gorgeous place! Sandy beaches you can walk endlessly, and lots of room for Missy to run around & be silly! Between the day sailing and the walks on the sand, all three of us ended the day with ear to ear grins!

Our last day we motored home, under sunny skies, with happy hearts, smiles & full of reminisce on what a great get-a-way we had! Of course every vacation comes at a cost, & this one was a water pump....thank goodness for Darren and his mechanic abilities to limp us home safe & sound & for another reason to partake in some Limoncello!

Also....huge thanks to our friends Tracy & John for the introduction to *Limoncello!

Cheers!
Comments
Vessel Name: Orion
Vessel Make/Model: '38 Dencho Choate
Hailing Port: Victoria, B.C.
Crew: Darren & Cindy, & our adventurous dog Missy!
About: Come share in our living aboard adventures while we work to fund our extended cruising kitty!
Extra: **Comments on our blog posts are encouraged, as we LOVE to read them!

WELCOME ABOARD!

Who: Darren & Cindy, & our adventurous dog Missy!
Port: Victoria, B.C.