Another ICW Adventure

Orion's adventures and misadventures of 2012/13 ICW and Bahamas cruise.

02 June 2013 | Home
25 February 2013 | Marathon, Fl. Keys
17 January 2013 | Palm Beaches Florida
04 January 2013 | Daytona Beach to Texas
19 December 2012 | Palm Coast Florida
12 December 2012 | Fernandina Beach Florida
08 December 2012
02 December 2012 | Southport, N.C.
24 November 2012 | Reedville, VA to Coinjock, N.C.

A Holiday Break

04 January 2013 | Daytona Beach to Texas
We had an uneventful trip from Palm Coast to Daytona Halifax Marina after replacing the engine fresh water pump.. We had a reservation and Marina staff were ready for us. Tied up, cleaned up and out for drinks and diner. It was 80 degrees, what a great way to start our Christmas break with family and friends. The next morning we picked up our rental car, a Ford Focus. We became comfortable in it quickly, which was good as our travels would eventually cover mare than 2500 miles. With the car rented, we went back to the boat to gather bags and presents, and get on the road. First day, we make it to Mobile. Traffic was light. We took some secondary roads suggested by the GPS and it turned out great. We bought Florida fruit, Louisiana Satsumas (a type of tangerine), sweet potatoes and pecans. Much to our likening, we hardly saw a franchise restaurant. We arrived at Walt’s sister’s house in Frisco Texas by early evening. A bowl of soup and early to bed. Next day we went to our favorite electronics store, Fry’s and had a great Tex Mex lunch. Then Christmas Eve. Their tradition is to go out to dinner and open presents under the tree. We went to a Chinese restaurant where we were the only gringos there. It was authentic and delicious. Opening presents was a blast with my sister’s son and daughter’s family and grand daughter to make it a true family event.

Christmas day was special. We were treated to a white Christmas with 3 to 4 inches of snow in northern Texas. Most had melted by the next afternoon. Christmas dinner was a great turkey and trimmings. Another day of visiting and a dinner out to have a Texas Fried steak and potato. Then on to Austin to visit friends Ann and John Riney and guess what, another visit to the local Fry’s store. While there I called high school friend Bill Craig thanks to my sisters Facebook activity. We had dinner out with Bill and Laura Craig which included 4+ hours of stories and catching up with each others lives spanning a 47 year gap. We vow to stay closer connected.

The trip home was also uneventful. We were passing through Baton Rouge on New Year’s Eve at dinner time, so we celebrated a little by going to Acme Oyster House. Oysters two ways and some good Cajun food. Early to bed before the bars close and the streets become dangerous. We arrived back to the boat New Years Day in time o complete some chores and plan on completing shopping and such. On the list, visit Verizon Wireless store to add our new Ipad to our Iphone data plan and share data. The visit to this Verizon was a pleasure as our clerk was very knowledgeable and professional. A real change from an experience we hade in Baltimore. OK, we also learned that our Verizon Air Card that works great with our Windows 7 computer may not work with our Windows 8 computer. This is exactly what we were experiencing. Back to Verizon to purchase a MiFi hot spot. It works great to provide a WiFi hot spot wherever a Verizon signal is available. Best part, no contract, pay as you go, as needed.

Saturday we turn in the rental car and continue south. Only 350 miles to Marathon, about 10 days.
Comments
Vessel Name: Orion
Vessel Make/Model: Westsail 32
Hailing Port: Reedville, VA
Crew: Mary Frazer & Walt Keith
About: Sailing together for 30 years we completed our first ICW and Abaco Bahamas trip in 07-08. With the struggles of that trip a fading memory, Mary suggested she is ready to have another go at it, this time to the Exumas. So here we go!

Our Crew

Who: Mary Frazer & Walt Keith
Port: Reedville, VA