Another ICW Adventure

Orion's adventures and misadventures of 2012/13 ICW and Bahamas cruise.

02 June 2013 | Home
25 February 2013 | Marathon, Fl. Keys
17 January 2013 | Palm Beaches Florida
04 January 2013 | Daytona Beach to Texas
19 December 2012 | Palm Coast Florida
12 December 2012 | Fernandina Beach Florida
08 December 2012
02 December 2012 | Southport, N.C.
24 November 2012 | Reedville, VA to Coinjock, N.C.

Getting ready, delay, delay, finally underway.

24 November 2012 | Reedville, VA to Coinjock, N.C.
Walt / 60 (maybe)
Getting Ready - It seems like we spent all summer planning, buying, installing and checking out new equipment. When it seemed we were almost done, we made the annual trek to the Annapolis sailboat show and more items followed us home. A few more weeks were spent adding new gear and when we were almost ready, along came hurricane Sandy to add a few more days delay. Finally, we close the house, move onto the boat and push off the dock. Push the engine shift lever forward to start the adventure now November 9th. The most awful clatter came from the engine room. We anchor and try to figure out what happened. What happened was an engine mount broke which caused the engine to settle which caused the shaft coupling to break its bolts and disconnect from the transmission. Dead in the water, we arrange a tow to our local boatyard by Smith Point Sea Rescue, Jennings Boatyard, just 1 mile away. We are ready to have the boat hauled for the winter, unpack everything and call it quits. Larry Jennings is not so quick to give up. After inspection they proclaimed "I can fix this. What do you want to do?" With a 5 to 7 day repair goal, Mary and I move back into the house for a week. Parts are ordered and arrive. What to do now. . .we take ourselves of to the Virginia Meseum of Fine Arts in Richmond to see the Chihuly at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, a major exhibition of work by internationally renowned glass artist Dale Chihuly Check out this link to the VMFA WEB site.. Meanwhile, Installation is completed and tested. We once again close the house and leave Jennings boatyard on November 16th heading South on the Chesapeake bay with 60 degree temperatures and 15-20 mph winds out of the North..We had a spirited motor sail under jib to Mobjack Bay East River. The sun finally came out and felt glorious in the cockpit. The second day we continued to Hospital point on the Elizabeth River, Norfolk. The next day being Sunday we were able to pass through the opening bridges in Norfolk on their regular hourly schedules without rush hour traffic non-opening restrictions. Finally we are past ICW mile marker 0 (mm 0) (Hospital Point). We approach Coinjock N.C. at mm50 via the North Landing River where we encounter winds of 20-25 mph with gusts to 35mph. The waves were smaller than we had encountered on the Chesapeake a few days earlier but it was still quite a ride. Top off fuel, a trip to the ships store; obligatory prime rib dinner at the restaurant and we are on our way the next day. So far all is OK.
Comments
Vessel Name: Orion
Vessel Make/Model: Westsail 32
Hailing Port: Reedville, VA
Crew: Mary Frazer & Walt Keith
About: Sailing together for 30 years we completed our first ICW and Abaco Bahamas trip in 07-08. With the struggles of that trip a fading memory, Mary suggested she is ready to have another go at it, this time to the Exumas. So here we go!

Our Crew

Who: Mary Frazer & Walt Keith
Port: Reedville, VA