Another ICW Adventure

Orion's adventures and misadventures of 2012/13 ICW and Bahamas cruise.

02 June 2013 | Home
25 February 2013 | Marathon, Fl. Keys
17 January 2013 | Palm Beaches Florida
04 January 2013 | Daytona Beach to Texas
19 December 2012 | Palm Coast Florida
12 December 2012 | Fernandina Beach Florida
08 December 2012
02 December 2012 | Southport, N.C.
24 November 2012 | Reedville, VA to Coinjock, N.C.

Shrimp, Shrimp, Shrimp

12 December 2012 | Fernandina Beach Florida
Walt / cool, rain
Hello from Fernandina Beach Florida. We made it through Georgia in 3 ½ days. The best part was our first visit to Thunderbolt marina. Why was this a highlight? Well we arrived on Saturday afternoon and they have a long standing tradition of delivering Krispy Cream donuts and a newspaper to your boat at 6:30 the next morning. So we received ½ dozen glazed donuts and a Sunday newspaper. There was heavy fog so we delayed our departure, enjoyed the paper and donuts. Well we had to time our arrival at Hell's Gate for mid tide rising to insure that one of the ICW's most infamous spots would have enough water for our transit. And it did. Another trouble spot is Jekyll Creek which runs behind Jekyll Island. We also timed our arrival as best we could to arrive at least 2 hours before low tide. The creek gave us a good scare with only 5 feet of water in a stretch of 50 feet when we need 5 ½ feet. We plowed through the short stretch and gave a big sigh of relief. We gave many sighs of relief in Georgia. We passed a "Barge train" in a narrow, twisty and shallow part of the ICW. We passed in the only part in the 2 mile section that was wide enough to allow passing without us going aground or we would have had to turn around and motor hard to keep in front of the tug boat till we got to a place we could pass. So what is a "barge train". Well it is a term I coined to describe a tug boat towing 4 barges connected together. There is also 2 to 4 smaller helper tug boats stationed on either of the barges to help steer them around sharp corners. We have passed a 4 and 5 barge train so far. They have always been barges of dredge equipment and helper pump dredges.

Now to share the more fun parts of this adventure. Why layover in Fernandina Beach? Well first we are tired after almost a month of traveling. Then there is the big pile of laundry that needs attention. Also, Walt didn't want to travel in the rain today. The best reason of all is to partake in some wonderful wild caught Florida shrimp at very good prices. Last night we treated ourselves to dinner in the famous Marina Restaurant. The special was buy one fried shrimp dinner get one free. Sold! They were wonderful, lightly battered and fried just right. It was easy to tell they were fresh and not the usual frozen prepared kind so often offered in a restaurant. Today we visited the local fish monger by the marina to buy more shrimp. One pound fresh 21/24 for now and 1 pound frozen 21/24 for later. Good prices also at $10 per pound. Mary made the best sautéed shrimp in butter, garlic, capers shallots and white wine for dinner. The frozen ones are for shrimp scampi later. We enjoyed the Christmas spirit with all the decorations in town. The main street is lined with trees all decked out in white twinkle lights. OK. . . .tomorrow we travel.
Comments
Vessel Name: Orion
Vessel Make/Model: Westsail 32
Hailing Port: Reedville, VA
Crew: Mary Frazer & Walt Keith
About: Sailing together for 30 years we completed our first ICW and Abaco Bahamas trip in 07-08. With the struggles of that trip a fading memory, Mary suggested she is ready to have another go at it, this time to the Exumas. So here we go!

Our Crew

Who: Mary Frazer & Walt Keith
Port: Reedville, VA