Breaking Free

28 March 2015
20 March 2015
13 March 2015
12 March 2015
11 March 2015
09 March 2015 | Equator
17 February 2015 | Las Pearlas Isl.
17 February 2015 | Panama
01 February 2015 | Panama!
08 January 2015 | Shelter Bay Marina
19 June 2014 | Panam
28 April 2014
17 April 2014
17 April 2014 | Nasca
13 April 2014
06 April 2014 | Panama
28 March 2014
10 March 2014 | San Blas
05 March 2014 | San Blas Panama

Jaime and Mike visit

19 February 2012 | San Blas
Dawn
Jaime and Mike came to join the ship on the 18th of February after a few days exploring Panama. We took them for a short tour through the Island of Carti and then sailed to the West Limon Islands. There were many boats and we had a challenge finding a spot but the good Captain found us a safe anchoring spot near the entrance. Another boat went aground here at Christmas coming in from the west, a route we have done before. It is humbling how a simple miscalculation can put you in harm's way. We talked with the boat coming in just a head of this boat and they said it was heartbreaking to watch, every sailors nightmare. They had their dingy on their boat and couldn't help the solo sailor. There is a big current there so they may not have been able to help any way. A little scary for Jaime and Mike to see on their first hours on the boat, a boat shipwrecked! We took a swim, met some Cubans and then off to shore to the local hut / bar for you guessed it - Happy Hour!!! Off to Cambombia the next day and Jaime and Mike had their first snorkel swim of many. The day after we joined Better Days, friends from last year at Waisaldup. Just when you think it can't get any better, WOW. A beautiful small island, with starfish all around! Jaime and Mike were brave and even swam to shore! Had a great snorkel ending with a shark siting! Jaime wanted to go back for pics but I talked her out of it. I know nurse sharks don't hurt you, but he was in a corner having a nap, and I just didn't want to tempt fate! All fun and games until someone gets eaten by a shark eh Jen! Spent a few days there then off to my favorite East Cocao Banderos Islands. Wind generator has been not doing well for a while and finally died so after advertising it on the 0830 radio net it was decided we would leave it for Panda (the boat) to try and play with. Jaime and Mike worked on the stainless steel, as the rust grows overnight in the salty air. Had a few great days anchored behind Bug Island. Jaime had an exciting thing happen. She picked up a sea shell on the beach. A very cool octopus crawled out and headed for the sea. Mike got a video of it and if I ever learn how to download it to the blog I will, it was amazing!!! Toured a plantation that the Kunas' tend to and saw some very large avacadoes and very small bananas. Of this life, I love the snorkeling best of all. So many beautiful creatures of the sea to watch. The last dive of the holiday was fabulous. Clear water, many fish out showing their colours, it was so fine, I didn't want to get out! Mike has a cool video cam and took lots of wonderful shots to help us get through the next while home! The good Captain Randy is getting ready for projects next year! Jaime and I are to leave the guys on March 2, through the Panama jungle to Panama and then home on March 3rd. 5 weeks not enough holidays now for me. I have been spoiled with the year off! Time to revisit our financial plan and sail away for longer!!!
Comments
Vessel Name: NIRVANA NOW
Vessel Make/Model: S&S North Atlantic 42
Hailing Port: Sault Ste. Marie Ontario
Crew: Randy and Dawn Ortiz
About: Happy together and ready to break free!

Breaking free

Who: Randy and Dawn Ortiz
Port: Sault Ste. Marie Ontario