Cruising with Osprey

28 July 2011
27 July 2011
26 July 2011
25 July 2011
23 July 2011
17 July 2011
17 July 2011
16 July 2011
15 July 2011
14 July 2011
13 July 2011
08 July 2011

Volunteering

26 March 2010
Friday 26th Volunteering

I had volunteered our time to help the Park Staff - I had read that they depend on and really appreciate cruiser's helping with some of the maintenance of the Park. Today was the day and poor Tom has come down with a cold and is sneezing, snuffling and generally feeling miserable, so I told him to stay home. Off I went and met Andrew, the Park Manager, at the Headquarters. It appears that the splicing job was really a two person task, so instead he took me off to "Owl" to do some jobs there. "Owl" is an old houseboat that has been donated to the park and is used to accommodate researchers when they are on site. The boat is moored near Emerald Rock just to the west of Warderick Wells. My assigned job was to paint a door and replace the hardware on some doors that had already been painted. I told Andrew that, as it happens, painting doors is my speciality, I don't think he believed me but my Mum and Dad know this is true! I spent a happy morning painting, putting on doorknobs and as I finished early, also swept and mopped the floors. Andrew collected me and I had an hour off for lunch. Then it was back to work and the afternoon was spent washing windows on the Rangers house and the Park Office. It was a fun day, I always enjoy having a job to do and working in Paradise is not like work at all. The icing on the cake is that today's mooring fee was waived.

We had another lovely evening on Osprey, an amazing sunset and off to bed!
Comments
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Make/Model: Shannon38 #33
Hailing Port: East Greenwich, RI
Crew: Tom & Vicky Worosz
About: We have cruised to the Bahamas and back twice ad are now back on land for a while. This Summer (2012) we have outfitted ourseleves with motorcycles and are heading off for a month long "land cruise'

Who: Tom & Vicky Worosz
Port: East Greenwich, RI