Cruising with Osprey

28 July 2011
27 July 2011
26 July 2011
25 July 2011
23 July 2011
17 July 2011
17 July 2011
16 July 2011
15 July 2011
14 July 2011
13 July 2011
08 July 2011

Pulpit Harbor

28 July 2011
We arrived in Pulpit Harbor today. We have never seen it this empty. We do get the impression that there are not as many boats out cruising this year. Presumably this is due to the economy. We love this little harbor which is truly one of those special places. This time we found an open Thayer’s Boat Yard mooring and took advantage of that. If we can use a mooring for a few bucks a night we do so, even though there is plenty of room to anchor here. Maine’s sticky mud is great for good holding but is a pain to clean up when it’s time to go - it usually takes us at least half an hour to clean off the chain as it comes up. We called the boat yard to see how to go about paying for the mooring and they were amazed we bothered to call, telling us that most people do not and therefore do not pay either. In fact we see this a lot - people coming into harbors and just grabbing any mooring that lies empty. We even heard of one disgruntled boat owner complaining about having to pay for a mooring at Northeast Harbor. He gave the mooring guy such a hard time that the poor guy came over to check on what we had found in other harbors and were we used to paying?!. Our philosophy is that moorings are NOT free, there is a cost associated with owning and maintaining a mooring and we are happy to pay to hang on a secure, well maintained mooring without worrying about anchors dragging in the night or other boats anchoring too close. If too many people poach moorings and use them without paying, this facility will disappear to everyone’s disadvantage - just my viewpoint! Anyway, we are happy to be here and enjoying the sunset over the Camden hills from our vantage point.
Comments
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Make/Model: Shannon38 #33
Hailing Port: East Greenwich, RI
Crew: Tom & Vicky Worosz
About: We have cruised to the Bahamas and back twice ad are now back on land for a while. This Summer (2012) we have outfitted ourseleves with motorcycles and are heading off for a month long "land cruise'

Who: Tom & Vicky Worosz
Port: East Greenwich, RI