Rounding Cape Caution. August 20, 2013.
24 August 2013 | posted at Shawl Bay
Photo: A northbound sailboat off Cape Caution
I dreaded rounding Cape Caution for several days before. Each evening as we planned for our next day, we listened to the weather forecast and heard SE winds. Sometimes it was 15-25, sometimes 20-30. In Fitz Hugh Sound where we were, that wasn't too bad as we were in protected water, but I wasn't looking forward to a bash to windward in the open ocean. Unfortunately, the long term weather forecast was for more of the same and we couldn't wait.
We anchored at Millbrook Cove in Smith Sound, the night before. The weather forecast was SE 10-20. That sounded as good as we could expect: from the wrong direction but light.
As with so many things, the actual trip was almost an anticlimax. The swells were even, if a bit high, but the wind was light as promised. We motored all the way, even taking a side trip into Slingsby Channel, then down Schooner Channel (not to be confused with Schooner Passage farther north), finally anchoring for the night in Skull Cove.