Our Journeys

As the name implies this blog follows our journeys, wherever they may lead.

29 March 2020 | Green Valley, Az.
02 July 2018 | Ocean Park, Wa
19 October 2017 | Green Valley, Az.
20 June 2017 | Ocean Park, Wa.
31 December 2015 | Green Valley, Az
26 September 2015 | Pairasio Base, Green Valey, Az
31 May 2015 | Ocean Park, Wa.
31 December 2014 | Pairaiso Base Green Valley, Az
02 November 2014 | Green Valley, Az.
30 June 2014 | DBBB - Longbeach, Wa
28 October 2013 | Mesa, Az
29 May 2013 | Mckinney, Texas
31 March 2013 | Ocean Park, Washington
20 December 2011 | Mazatlan, Mexico
07 March 2011 | Mazatlan & State Side
29 January 2011 | Mazatlan

This Summer is a Wrap!

28 October 2013 | Mesa, Az
The Skipper, Warm

Astoria Bridge
Down the road on the Astoria Bridge
Photo by Jim Roberts


While in Texas the skipper caught some sort of a bug, that turned into a sinus infection. Although a treatment was started before he returned to the NW at the end of June, it mutated into pneumonia by mid-July when it was finally correctly diagnosed and treated. It wasn't until mid-August that he was feeling well and his strength had come back.


Also during July we had friends from Vancouver, Texas and Arizona visit in their RV's. So we had lots fun showing our freinds the delights of the Long Beach peninsula and some Letterbox hunting too. Places like Beards Hallow take you back in time as you search for your Letterbox treasures. The hiking is wonderful too!



One day we ventured into Astoria, Oregon (25 miles away) to see some of the sites. There we took a step back in time while visiting Fort Clatsop at the Lewis and Clark National Historical Park.
"Fort Clatsop is the site on the Lewis and Clark River where the 33 member Lewis and Clark Expedition wintered from December 7, 1805, until March 23, 1806. The park includes the 2006 replica of the 50' square fort; a visitor center with exhibits, bookstore and theater; historic canoe landing, and a view of a seasonal spring joined by trails through the wetlands and rainforest (young Sitka spruce and western hemlock) of the park." We really enjoyed ourselves wondering through the indoor exhibits, the fort itself, along the tree lined paths, punctuated by lush forest smells and by being entertained by the folks performing reenactments. These are folks dressed in period clothes talking about everyday life at the fort as if you were there at the time.



Next we went to the Astoria Column. After a couple of wrong turns we made it. The column sits atop one of the highest hills in Astoria and commands a view of the entire valley, all the way to the ocean on a clear day. Our visit provided us with spectacular views in every direction.



We had lunch at one of the watering holes along the river front and the Riverfront Trolley tracks. Of course after lunch we had to ride the Trolley. This restored trolley cruises most of the Astoria water front. The ride takes about 45 minutes round trip and is well worth the 1 or 2 (all day) dollar fee. What else is there to do after a great train ride but find a couple of Letterboxes before heading home.



Other Letterbox outings included trips to the Northhead light house, parts of the Discover trial, Oysterville and Leadbetter State Park. Other activities included attending the Long Beach Sand Castle festival and the Kite Museum. Alas all our friends had to move on down the road.



We finished up July by having Susan's grandson, Grant, out for several days. We went to a local rodeo, played games at the beach, visited our neighbors, visited Astoria, and rode the trolley. In Astoria we went to the Astoria colunm again, only this time Grandma and Grant climbed the 164 steps to the top. Once there Grant had a great time tossing glider planes off, which he had gotten for free from the gift shop, for that purpose. We also meet up with some friends for lunch. They had just completed a world circumnavigation on their boat. Grant really enjoyed visiting the sailboat and talking to the owner.



August started with a family campout weekend at our place. This is a busy time preparing and coordinating the meals, activities, beach visits, kite flying and campfires. This year we had 29 members attend for the weekend. Fortunately the weather was good. All had a good time!



Near the end of August we went to Cathlamet, Wa for the annual Mexico cruiser rendezous weekend get together. We had fun visiting with everyone and needless to say the pot luck was great. The weather turned out good. The views of the Columbia River were as spectacular as can be expected.



September brought more visitors to our place. Our good friends Herman and Nancy spent 10 days with us in their RV. We had fun visiting, Letterboxing and Susan and Nancy painted. We made a drive down the coast on a Letterbox hunt. We went as far as Cannon Beach on the Oregon coast, had lunch at Mo's one of our favorite resturants. All to soon our friends had to hit the road. They are like us in that they head south as snowbirds for the winter months.



Now it was time for us to prepare our Ocean Park place to sleep for the winter. By the end of September we had moved the RV to our friends Tom and Sue's place in Vancouver. We spent the time visiting family and friends in Seattle and Portland. By mid-October we'd said our goodbyes and retracked the jack's, pulled in the slideouts and headed for warmer weather. Our joints have much less to complain about when they are warm!



However we had to pass through some chilly, darn cold areas, with temps in the 20's and teen's in the mornings, 50's in the PM, before reaching the nice weather of Mesa, Azizona. We've visited with our new grandson and family, and our friends. Susan is planning to fly to New Holland, Pa for a visit with her mother, who is now 97 and not doing well. Susan may have to stay longer then expected. Otherwise we'll be in Mesa until mid-December, before moving on to our next adventure.



Visit The 2013 Summer Photo Album




Thanks for visiting our blog. More to follow for sure!


Comments
Vessel Name: Perpetua
Vessel Make/Model: 1964 Piver Victress Trimaran
Hailing Port: Portland, Oregon
Crew: Pat & Susan Canniff
About: Pat has owned Perpetua since 1975, she was built in 1964. Pat's dream started before he purchased Perpetua. Susan joined the dream 26 years ago. Together they made it a reality. We left our homeport in 1999, cruised down the Columbia River and turned left for points south.
Extra: Never let the dream fade. Pat once got an award, from his local yacht club, for having the longest 5 year plan, in the club. Create a plan, work the plan, and keep on dreaming.