Our Blue Skies Adventure

23 April 2016 | Great Stirrup Cay
10 April 2016 | Crandon Park Marina Mooring Field
30 March 2015 | Marathon Key & Bahia Honda State Park
22 March 2015 | Boot Key Harbor & Sombrero Key Lighthouse
21 March 2015 | Key West to Boca Grande Key & back
21 February 2015 | Stock Island Marina, Key West, FL
27 January 2015 | Loggerhead Keys, Dry Tortugas National Park
06 December 2014 | Isle of Capri Marina, FL
14 April 2014 | Gulfport, FL
07 April 2014 | St. Petersburg, FL
29 March 2014 | St. Petersburg, FL
29 March 2014 | St. Petersburg, FL
17 March 2014 | Florida Keys
07 February 2014 | St. Petersburg, FL
04 February 2014 | DeSoto Point, Manatee River, Florida
15 January 2014 | Around Tampa Bay
08 December 2013 | Tampa Bay Waters
26 November 2013 | St. Petersburg, FL
27 October 2013 | Dry Tortugas National Park
19 October 2013 | Passing Punta Blanca Island

Waiting for a weather window, again!

10 April 2016 | Crandon Park Marina Mooring Field
Deb & Jim / Sunny with winds up to 20kts
Mark Twain famously said, “Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything!” Cruisers talk about, study, marvel at, research and complain about the weather. It has taken 3 years but we understand why.

We are currently at Crandon Park Marina in Key Biscayne. As we sit today, the Miami skyline is about 5 nautical miles from port and Key Biscayne is within swimming distance from starboard. We have been floating here waiting for a weather window to cross the Gulf Stream to the Bahamas for 7 days.

Every morning we wake up and check the weather to find the weather window, every evening we do the same to see if the “window” is still open.

Last Monday it looked like there would be a window on Friday, multiple sources confirmed it. By Wednesday that window closed. On Thursday a weather window was forming allowing a crossing on Tuesday, again, multiple sources confirmed it.

But this morning’s NOAA Synopsis for Tuesday says: EAST NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET WITH OCCASIONAL SEAS TO 6 FEET ALONG THE COAST AND 5 TO 7 FEET WITH OCCASIONAL SEAS TO 9 FEET IN THE GULF STREAM. DOMINANT PERIOD 7 SECONDS. INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED AREAS.

The key number is the 9 feet in the Gulf Stream. The boat can take it – we can’t. So, we wait. It is looking like Wednesday but Tuesday is still a possibility.

That’s the story of our season. We had one day in January with calm seas allowing us to get from Isle of Capri (Naples, FL) to Key West. We worked, traveled for business, traveled home, traveled to Cabo San Lucas with friends Chris and Amy, and basically sat on the dock for 2 months due to high winds and small craft advisories. We know Key West well! Highlights included spending the day as tourists with Mary & Bob (Deb’s sister & brother in law), and enjoying dock time & Amigos Tacos with cruising friends Jan & David and Sheri & Kenny.

On March 2nd we enjoyed a 3-day weather window as we headed from Key West to Marathon before the big blow came in bring with it 15 – 25kt winds for 6 days.

At Marathon, niece Lexi and Deb’s parents came aboard for 3 days of wind followed by 3 days of good sailing winds (unfortunately with waves at our beam making it a bit rocky aboard) than 2 days of dead calm. We took that window and moved from Marathon to the Miami area. We stayed at Long Key & Rodriguez Key in transit before arriving at No Name Harbor on Key Biscayne where we enjoyed the beautiful beach.

Beth joined at Dinner Key Marina (in Coconut Grove on Biscayne Bay) to relax for a long weekend and “enjoy” our final ride in our old dinghy. I’m sure she will remember the ride … the water taxi picked us up from our mooring ball to head into the marina for showers. Our plan was to take the water taxi back, however, it was cancelled due to winds > 15 knots and 3-4’ seas in the bay so, we called Jim who put the dinghy in the water and came ashore. We had a wild time, laughed a lot, and were completely covered with salt water as waves were breaking over the top of the dinghy. A ride to remember!

The highlight of March was the arrival of the grandkids (and their parents). It’s always fun with the kids aboard and our days go like this – wake up early, wake up grandpa, eat breakfast, pack lunch, go to the beach where Emma never leaves the water, Brady never stops running, Nolan never stops digging, and the rest of us swim, dig & play, eat lunch, swim, play, dinghy back to the boat, watch The Little Mermaid, play cards, eat dinner, read books, go to sleep. One day we skipped the beach and went to the water park!

Now we wait, and, while waiting, Jim’s re-doing the interior varnish. The forward cabin walls & floor are done, the aft cabin floor has the first coat of varnish, the main cabin floor and refrigerator walls are today. The varnishing will stop when the weather window opens. Our next posting will be from the Bahamas unless one of our guests happens to write their blog entry … we’re waiting!
Comments
Vessel Name: BlueSkies
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 40
Hailing Port: St. Petersburg, FL
Crew: Jim and Deb Casurella
BlueSkies's Photos - Main
Kristin, Joe, Emma, Nolan and Brady were aboard for a week, fun!
15 Photos
Created 10 April 2016
Barb & Len (Deb's Mom & Dad) & Lexi were aboard as we headed from Marathon to Biscayne Bay.
9 Photos
Created 10 April 2016
Family and friends aboard BlueSkies!
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 30 March 2015
15 Photos
Created 6 December 2014
The first trip aboard for Marilyn and Joe!
7 Photos
Created 16 April 2014
Rachel, Lexi and Molly joined us for a spring break trip to the Dry Tortugas National Park.
16 Photos
Created 3 April 2014
The first trip to the boat for Emma, Nolan & Kristin. Uncle Andy was aboard as well!
20 Photos
Created 29 March 2014
A 4 day trip in Tampa was greatly altered by fog.
11 Photos
Created 4 February 2014
In and around the bay with Sue and Nancy aboard.
8 Photos
Created 19 January 2014
Thanksgiving Trip with Barb & Len/Mom & Dad, Cal & Sharon
13 Photos
Created 8 December 2013
Final boat preparation for our first overnight guests.
8 Photos
Created 30 November 2013
Our trip to the Dry Tortugas National Park. 2 days getting there, 3 days there, 3 days getting back.
12 Photos
Created 27 October 2013
BlueSkies Transformation
6 Photos
Created 19 October 2013
The interior of the boat is done!
9 Photos
Created 27 July 2013
From calm seas to blue skies as we dock her for hurricane season in Florida.
5 Photos
Created 30 June 2013
This is our first solo weekend on BlueSkies cruising our of Tampa Bay on the Florida Gulf coast.
5 Photos
Created 28 June 2013
We purchased Golden Hind on May 24, 2013 and after refurbishing she will be named Blue Skies.
8 Photos
Created 14 June 2013