Bookmark and Share
Tom & Ollie Adventures
No Name Harbor to Ft. Myers

We left Miami to No Name Harbor on 24 January. This was a beautiful, sunny, warm day!!! Great for sailing!!!! We stopped at Crompton Marina for fuel and water. We anchored outside of No Name Harbor. It was a calm night--early sleep as tomorrow we will get up early and head out for Rodriquez Cay.

We had an early start. It was a little rough at first but then smoothed out like the day before. We had a great sail. We anchored on the south eastern side of the island. We had a little problem with our water pump. Somehow it kept running and the bilge was dry. So we turned it off and then back on--and it was OK. Early dinner and early bed so we can be on way to Marathon.

This was Saturday, 26 January, we left early of coarse. It was a great day for a sail. I was taking a nap and Tom was fishing while sailing. Guess what he caught a 19" Spanish Mackerel. He left it on the fishing pole--so it would die and not cause a mess on our cockpit floor. Well as he was adjusting the sail--the fish jumped off the fishing hook and back into the water for safety. That was when I woke up. He did not catch any more the rest of the way. We were busy dodging lobster pots the rest of the trip. We checked the weather to see if we could anchor outside of Marathon to save time and money the next morning. We were lucky--it was calm. We anchored and was about to eat dinner when Lee on Sporting Lee arrived and anchored. He was having an alternator problem--he thought it had bit the dust and it did but he was ok until he got to Ft. Myers.

The next morning Sporting Lee and Our Freedom left for Little Shark River which is the beginning of the Everglades National Park. Another great day for a sail!!!! We anchored in the middle of the river and had a good night sleep.

The next day we were all heading for Marco Island. Another great day to sail--a little overcastted but warm and not too many lobster pots to dodge. When we were getting near Marco Lee told us he planned on leaving the break of dawn for Ft. Myers. We wanted to stay a few days as this is a great anchorage on Smokehouse Bay. We toured our favorite places for a couple of days. We went to the Farmers Market--there Tom held a baby alligator and I found a nest where a burrowing owl couple were courting. We were planning to stay another day or two. Tom told on the morning of the 2nd of February, if we didn't leave today--we would be stucked for a week. Since we still wanted to see more of the west coast, we decided to leave.

Off to Ft. Myers at 8:00 am--not 7:00. The water was a little rough not bad and overcastted. It started to smooth out closer to Ft. Myers. When we arrived we saw Charlie and Cathy's boat My Time Too and Sporting Lee. We got a mooring ball in the second mooring field. We went for a shower and register for the mooring. On the way back, we stopped at Charlie and Cathy's boat. He asked why we did not take two moorings in that field. One was due to the barge and the other was still occupied. So we went back to our boat, started the engine, and moved to the closer mooring ball. I can't believe it we were able to catch the mooring ball the first try--thank God.

The next morning, we met Charlie and Cathy on shore and made arrangements to go to Heavenly Biscuit for lunch. They had to go back to their boat to drop off laundry. So Tom and I took a walk. They called us when they were ready--we told them we were sitting on a park bench across from Hooters. We waited for them there. We had a great sandwich. We all walked back to the dinghy dock. We checked out bars for the Super Bowl game. We ended up having Super Bowl Happy Hour on our boat. All the places were so noisy.

Before we left Ft. Myers, Helen and John Deresky (Lara's parents) came by to go sailing. We did some fishing, also--we did not catch anything. We then went out for dinner. We had a grand time!

01/21/2013, Venetician Causeway

We left Ft. Lauderdale at 7:00 am to head to Miami on the outside. Yesterday the ocean was a little rough but today it was calm. We put up the sail while we were going out the inlet. As usual, I was still sleepy. Tom told me to go below and take a name. He didn't have to tell me twice. I fell asleep and did not wake yp for 2 1/2 hours later--just as we were getting to Governments Cut at Miami. The wind, waves and the sails gave us a fast ride. At noon we were eating lunch at the Venetician Causeway.

Day 2 at Miami: We went to shore in time for me to get a pixie haircut before lunch. It is the longer version of the pixie. Tom likes it!!!! Then we walked for a long ways to our Tia restaurant on Washington Drive. Great food as usual!!!! Then we walked back to Lincoln Mall--stopped at McDonald's for ice cream. We people watched at the mall and then walked to our dinghy boat. We wen t up Collins Canal to go to Publix. They have put in a new wall on the street side. They also built a dinghy dock for the boaters to tie their dinghies to. Real nice!! Back to the boat for a relaxing afternoon. We are trying to figure out what we want to do. The weather controls out itinery.

Vero to Ft. Lauderdale
01/19/2013, Lake Sylvia

Two days before we left Vero Beach, we had friends come to visit. Ron and Mary camp when they travel. So they stopped at the Marina and were able to stay for several days. That same night, Doug and Carol (our buddy boat) came back to Vero to start their trip. Doug and Carol had lots of provisioning to do--so they were busy all day. But the guys took Mary, Jackie and I shopping. Rather I should say--they dropped us off--we shopped--they came back to feed us and then dropped us off at another location. We finally finished shopping around 5:00 pm. Then the guys went to get our dinner. It was fun!!!!

We had coffee with Mary and Ron. She was ready to go to the clinic to have a blood work-up done and then they were going to resume camping. The first day out was an easy day. We went to Peck Lake. No problems at all.

The next day (16th) we had a more interesting day. Since a cold front was coming through, we had to take the ICW rather than going outside to Lake Worth. We pulled in just before dark. We anchored--ate dinner--and then Tom went to the cockpit to check the boats around us to make sure we were all swinging pretty much the same. I finished the dishes and went outside also. The boats were all going in various directions. One boat hit the science research vessel. All he did was power up the boat and moved--he did not pull up the anchor--guess what--he went right back to where he originally was. Tom said I think we need to move. We pulled up anchor and went down to the other side of the anchorage. It is spooky when you are driving a boat in the dark without lights. We made it--anchored the boat--then had a night cap so we could calm down from the day.

We got up at 6:00 on the 17th--so we could get and early start. Again, we had to take the ICW. We had so many bridges to go through. We met up with a catamaran called Halcyon. They went a little faster than us--so they went ahead and got the bridge open and we both slipped through. They did not know of a place to anchor--so we took them to Lake Sylvia. We went over to their boat and talked with them. They are newbie's to cruising. One of Brit's bucket lists is to go to the Bahamas. That is their plans. We are going to meet up with a friend and stay for several days.

Friday and Saturday rained all day long--so we stayed on the boat. Sunday was beautiful, we went over to the Southport Raw Bar to have lunch. Then we walked to the Ace Hardware store for more tools. We then went to the Winn Dixie store for more food and BEER!!!! Then it was time to go back to the boat to watch the football games and have snacks. We plan to go on the outside tomorrow to head to Miami!!!

Vero Beach

We finally arrived at Vero Beach. Before we arrived, we had arranged for Doug's transmission to be fixed by a good mechanic, Pete. We met many of our friends. It is amazing how small this world is! Tom's knee is still hurting real bad and he finally decided to go to a doctor. Our friends suggested an orthopedic clinic. Believe it or not, we got an appointment the next day!!!! Don, a friend of ours, drove us to the clinic. After the exam and two x-rays, we found out that the problem was caused by arthritis. Continue the brace and take Aleeve. Tom was happy with the outcome. He is getting better. We will go home for Christmas and then drive back after the New Year. We hope to leave for the Bahamas then!!

Eau Gaullie

Tom's knee hurts too much -- I finally persuaded him to wear my knee brase. I kept fetching whatever he needed. He was still putting on the ice packs all day long. Another perfect day for sailing--sunny - warm--and current pushing us through. After we anchored, Doug drove his boat next to ours - so Tom could drop a goodie bag filled with turkey, stuffing, and pecan pie. Tom dropped the bag on his deck the first try.

12/08/2012 | BSC - Stoway
Looks Like a very nice trip so far.....

Got some good photos to add to your collection. Let me know how to post


NASA Causeway

We got the anchor up and I was heading out into the channel--and a huge trawler comes zooming by. I know I looked but it came from no where. Also another sailboat that was anchored next to us--decided to leave just at the same time I was. No one got hit but I sure was nervous for a long time. Another fantastic day on the water--sunny--warm--and current pushing us (like a sleigh ride). However, somehow Tom hurt his knee when anchoring the boat. So he is putting ice packs on it.

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Our Freedom's Crew
Who: Tom & Ollie Foster
Port: Blackbeard Sailing Club, New Bern, NC
View Complete Profile »
SailBlogs Friends
PRIM Windfall 

Powered by SailBlogs