Owl & Pussycat / Sonsie of Victoria BC

Adventures aboard S/V Sonsie of Victoria

February 21 champagne anniversary!

21 February 2015
What an amazing spot in which to wake on our third anniversary!

Alas, we could not go ashore as the wind was picking up and swinging around in an unsavoury way making a quick getaway of primary importance.

Down the coast we sailed in fresh sunshine, westbound through Schouten Passage where Australian fur seals frolicked, then northbound so as to lie on the western side of the spit which cradles Wineglass Bay on its eastern shore.

Our self-steering paddle malfunctions. After checking the control lines and vane we look down, over the stern and see a massive clump of seaweed and kelp entangling the paddle. The boathook comes to the rescue, poking and prodding and coaxing it all off.

This was Coles Bay and despite its appearance on the chart as a good shelter in these conditions, was windy as heck, with the nor'easterlies funneling through the hills to blast us at their full 35+ knots. We snagged a mooring and broke open the bottle of terrific champagne given to us by a Qantas flight attendant

(A little detour to explain her generosity: we usually show our appreciation of being able to fly standby on interline carriers by handing the crew a box of chocolates. They in turn appreciate the gesture and often help make our flight more enjoyable if they are able. This might be as simple as getting us seats together or as grand as upgrading us to First Class. On our last flight, they rustled up a vegetarian meal for Isabel, and in gratitude we gave the resourceful FA a PlayMobile "trolley dolly". This thrilled her to bits, and in short order our $2.99 investment was returned in the form of a bag in which was a bottle of the best champagne on offer along with two sets of grey Qantas pyjamas!)
Comments
Vessel Name: Sonsie of Victoria
Vessel Make/Model: Southern Cross 39'
Hailing Port: Piers Island BC
Crew: Jim Merritt & Isabel Bliss
Extra: A long ago blog featuring some of Sonsie's marvelous adventures