Owl & Pussycat / Sonsie of Victoria BC

Adventures aboard S/V Sonsie of Victoria

A 50 knot welcome to South Island, NZ/Aotearoa

29 February 2016
Land ho!

The wind faltered as we approached the coast. Jim says we are going to have to raise the asymmetrical but first I make an early lunch. As we eat from 11:30-12:00, we round the spit at Cape Farewell. Using the binoculars we spy fabulous rock formations like an island with an arch within it. We start a long turn SE to follow the long sandy spit that hooks around Golden Bay. As we throw our dishes into the sink the wind increases, to 25, 35, 40 knots. We hang on for half an hour before Jim says we must turn into the short, steep waves to reef, from first down to third as Sonsie bucks like a bronco.

Soon we have a steady 48-50 knots and sharp breaking seas slapping us on our starboard beam. To reduce canvas, Isabel released the mainsail clutch and the sail dropped down into the blessed boombag. That left us with staysail only, as we had unfortunately prematurely downed the storm jib some hours before! For 5 hours, all the way across Golden Bay (Hold'on Bay) we barreled along bracing ourselves and grasping the helm as we took one hour tricks at the wheel.

After passing the aptly named Separation Point, the wind dropped from 48 to 8 knots! We motorsailed to Torrent Bay to drop the hook at 19:30. We needed to recover, tidy up the higgledypiggedly cabin, eat and most of all sleep.

Torrent Bay in Abel Tasman park is a safe, quiet, calm, peaceful bay. There were half a dozen motorboats and a few other sailboats already at anchor and enjoying the summer evening. Anchoring here prior to officially checking in was actually a no-no from the point of view of customs and all the rules governing ships at sea! We left our AIS on, informed Customs as best we could via the maritime coastal radio service, and did not go ashore or invite anyone from any other boat over. (As we hadn't showered in awhile that was probably best for all concerned !)

We tucked into camembert/nuts/cranberries baked in maple syrup and a Tasmanian white before collapsing into our berth.

04:30 alarm to raise anchor and get going early as southerlies forecast. We motorsailed as we were bang into more headwinds and chop but just for a few hours. We requested via VHF channel 12 to enter the busy Nelson harbour in between cargo ships, a tug and fishing boats, then chugged up channel to Quarantine berth, yellow Q flag on starboard spreader.

Check in at 09:30 a.m went grand. The two pleasant officials were welcoming, and aware and ok with our overnight. They simply wanted to know if we had been ashore. Lots of paperwork and as usual all the remaining fresh veggies were confiscated but overall very little taken (vs Australia!)

Arranged a temporary berth at the marina, had hot showers, and walked to town for ice creams. Three cheers for terra firma!!

The photo we've picked is of the marvellous sunset in Torrent Bay, a great welcome for our first night in a new land.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sonsie of Victoria
Vessel Make/Model: Southern Cross 39'
Hailing Port: Piers Island BC
Crew: Jim Merritt & Isabel Bliss
Extra: A long ago blog featuring some of Sonsie's marvelous adventures