Owl & Pussycat / Sonsie of Victoria BC

Adventures aboard S/V Sonsie of Victoria

Return to Friendly Fiji

25 October 2014 | Vuda Point, Fiji
Bula!!

Isabel's Fiji Air flight from Honolulu via Christmas Island approached Nadi International Airport after dark. The late October night sky was a-sparkle with the many fireworks families were setting off for Diwali, the Hindu Festival of Lights. What a great time to be returning to Fiji!

Jim was waiting at the airport. He had flown to Fiji two weeks prio to start getting Sonsie in shape for her upcoming voyage to Australia - the only continent he's yet to set foot on! Isabel had lingered in Canada as it's rather tricky to live onboard a boat in a higgledypiggedy state up on the hard in a work yard. However it must be said that the work yard in question, Vuda (pronounced Vunda) Point, is pretty sweet, as it co-exists with a lovely circular marina. As well, its neighbour is First Landing, a tranquil resort complete with waterfall pool laid on for the use of cruisers. Palms, pandanus, bougainvillea and a gorgeous red-flowered flame tree surround the pool, lending it a most luxuriant air. So it's not that much of a hardship!

(Since arriving in Fiji, Jim had actually flown back to Seattle to spend a happy Canadian Thanksgiving with family there and to pick up $5000 (aka 5 boat units) worth of new boat parts: a brand new spanking autopilot and keel coolers.)

Back to Diwali.... A local "FBI" (Fiji-born Indian), Priya, who works at the marina, kindly invited us to her home to celebrate the Festival of Lights. It is always great to get away from the cultural microcosm of a marina to visit local folks and their families. Priya looked stunning, all dressed up in an attractive sari. In a nice twist to the "desert last" routine, it was served first. Upon our arrival, Priya thrust bowls of scrumptious cardamom-laced homemade rice pudding into our hands. This was followed by a plate of assorted Indian sweets. Later on we sat down to a table-load of tempting savory vegetarian dishes. What a sensible way to eat supper  Along the dark road back to the marina fireworks were going off with abandon, some landing on the side of the road and starting fires! They certainly take a more carefree approach to incendiary things in Fiji than they do in Canada.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sonsie of Victoria
Vessel Make/Model: Southern Cross 39'
Hailing Port: Piers Island BC
Crew: Jim Merritt & Isabel Bliss
Extra: A long ago blog featuring some of Sonsie's marvelous adventures