Pacific Hwy

10 January 2017 | Lechinioch
15 March 2016 | Sydney Australia
23 April 2015 | Majuro, Marshall Islands
08 November 2014 | Tarawa, Kiribati, Middle of the Pacific Ocean
04 October 2014 | Fiji
19 February 2014
20 August 2013
28 July 2013
20 May 2013 | French Polynesia
19 May 2013
11 May 2013
11 April 2013
10 April 2013 | Latitude 00.00
07 March 2013 | Banderas Bay
02 February 2013 | Nuevo Vallarta
21 January 2013 | Mexican Riviera
09 January 2013 | Chamela Bay

New Zealand Road Trip

19 February 2014
Since we will be spending six months in New Zealand (safely south of the cyclone belt) we've decided to buy a van so we can tour both North and South Islands. We plan to "car camp" which basically means we will be living like many of America's homeless. We've already downsized from home to a boat so why not try living in a car.

Our trip had an inauspicious start. I managed to trip on a speed bump and slam down hard on an already dodgy knee. This prompted a friend to question "just how fast were you walking" and the comment, "Well, I guess those speed bumps really work!" I was distraught because I had torn and bloodied my best pair of long pants and , more importantly, jeopardized our plans for a hiking vacation on New Zealand's famed scenic tracks. We purchased elastic knee supports and a pair of hiking poles and hoped for the best.

In case you didn't understand the expression "dodgy knees" that's kiwi-speak for bad knees, or "buggered" knees. We are making progress with learning the local language. For example, we met a red-haired (or 'ginger') chap with a Scottish surname who told us that he was a "merry man". I thought this was a rather quaint and charming way of saying that he was happy with his life. He then went on to tell us that his great-great grandfather had arrived on the shores of New Zealand, spotted a topless 'merry' lass, and decided to marry her. Apparently few European women immigrated to New Zealand in the early days so it was common to intermarry with the Maori. Hence, future generations are part eurotrash and part "merry'.

We have also learned that a 'hire shop' is not an employment agency but a place to rent equipment. When we hired a cabin, we were told we would need our own 'beading'. When I asked for clarification I was told, "Beading - sleeping bags or sheets and a blanket".

Furthermore, if you are told you need to 'share', it doesn't mean that you need to go back to kindergarten and learn to play nice. It means that you smell bad. To 'share' means standing under running water and washing yourself with soap. We especially liked campsites that provided a 'hot share'.

Flip flops are called 'Jandals' and the list goes on and on. In fact there are books on kiwi-speak so six months will not be enough time for us to become fluent.

For photos of our camping adventure, please click on the "photo gallery" and take a look at our Road Trip album.
Comments
Vessel Name: Pacific Hwy
Vessel Make/Model: Davidson 44
Hailing Port: St. John, USVI
Crew: Bruce and Laura Masterson
About: After 30 years sailing the Caribbean and the Atlantic, we are checking out the 'Left Coast" and the Pacific.
Extra: Our boat was previous named Pacific Coast Hwy. We have renamed her Pacific Hwy and plan to leave the coast behind.
Pacific Hwy's Photos - Main
24 Photos
Created 15 March 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 November 2014
8 Photos
Created 8 October 2014
Bruce and I spent 17 days car-camping throughout NZ. Here are some photos from the trip.
56 Photos
Created 19 February 2014
6 Photos
Created 20 August 2013
4 Photos
Created 13 May 2013