Random Thoughts from Pacific Voyager

S/V Pacific Voyager

Who: Barry & Pat Bolln
Port: Hilo, Hawaii
06 February 2006
06 February 2006
06 February 2006
06 February 2006
06 February 2006 | Inside Passage - Vancouver Island
19 December 2005
19 December 2005
19 December 2005
19 December 2005 | British Columbia
08 December 2005 | Campbell River, British Columbia
08 December 2005
08 December 2005
08 December 2005 | Port Townsend, Washington
08 December 2005

Hawaii to Alaska 2003 Pt. 2

08 December 2005
Barry Bolln
Monday, June 30 - Barry scrambled eggs with sausage and cheese - yummy. Late lunch - corn, Kalua pig with green peppers. Very lumpy sea, lots of powering. Enjoy calling the Pacific Seafarers Net and the Northbound Hawaii Net to talk with people and give our position. Barry is reading Fishing With John to us. Barry is doing most of the cooking now as it is too rough inside and very hot for me. Tummy doing fine. Not seasick.

Tuesday, July 1 - haircut, beard trim. Practice recorder. Motor sailing 6.2 knots. No fishing yet. Watching weather fax charts come up on the computer. Cereal and bananas for breakfast for Barry & leftovers for me. The awning is working good so far. Thanks Joyce. OOPS! Had the dodger window open one foot to let air in and a wave just blew over and hit my head and chest and let rain in. That will wake you up. Lunch - bread, butter, cheese, cucumbers, tomatoes. Delicious. Discover the radar uses lots of current so will try to use it only at night. It is wonderful.

July 8 - anchor light on in the middle of nowhere - sails down, no wind all night. Oatmeal and raisins for breakfast. Later, tack to 30 degrees on compass. Yea, headed for Sitka. 40 degrees North now & getting pretty cold - lots of layers on. Sounds like no hope of the transmission working which quit 2 days ago. Very depressing. Engine ok but no forward or reverse. Had 2nd full shower yesterday. Nice but still problems with the system. The whole water system is not working for the 4th day. Stuff everywhere and can't find anything. Rice a Roni/beef stew last night with the last of the fresh tomatoes. Enjoying the eggs. Had sweet and sour chicken 2 days with noodles. Meals good. Must save batteries - not using radar and using all else sparingly. Will have to be towed into Sitka. CPT (self steering)(we named it Cornelius P. Thorndike) working good. Glad we put mug holders on the binnacle. I am in cockpit most of the time. Tummy doing fine. Not using seasick medicine now. Amazing. Enjoying our stuffed animals. Lots of leaks - guess it was not the chain plates - do not know what it is. Hatches not leaking. Ran out of fuel way too soon. Took days to get engine going again. Hard to bleed engine and make diesel come through all the tiny places. Very long. Barry spends long hours on his hands and knees playing with the engine. Weather fax daily working well with the laptop and single side band radio. Still checking in with the Pacific Seafarers' Net around 5:30pm. Cruisers on the Hawaii Northbound Net gave good suggestions about fixing transmission. Jack lines and mast guards really a great help during heavy weather sail changes. Roller furling system working fine. I help when time to reef or let it out a little. Still reading Judy's book to each other every day. Love it. I finished quilting the Hawaiian pillow cover. It took a great many hours and days. The cockpit liner we put down is working great. Do not slip around. My sore spots from falling off the companionway ladder are getting lots better. Must get more handholds inside the boat. We are on a port tack now so much easier. Cook stove working well but getting very messy. Always spilling something with the boat lurching violently at times. Enjoying the chocolate covered macnuts and beef jerky. Wonder where Lin & Larry are and how they are doing with these wandering highs. Lots of big albatrosses skimming the water and an occasional boobie and smaller black very fast jerky skimmers. No fish or whales, etc. We are rarely fishing because it is just too rough or it would be a big hastle to get one in and hold on at the same time. Only 4 ships so far and all from the starboard side.
Comments
Vessel Name: Pacific Voyager
Vessel Make/Model: Fuji 45
Hailing Port: Hilo, Hawaii
Crew: Barry & Pat Bolln
About: Sammy (stuffed raccoon)
Extra:
Pacific Voyager is a Fuji 45 cutter rigged ketch designed by John Alden. She was built in 1975 in Japan. We bought her in Hawaii at the end of January 2003 and worked extremely hard to get her ready to sail late June 2003. We sailed 27 days to Sitka, Alaska then made it down the Inside Passage [...]

S/V Pacific Voyager

Who: Barry & Pat Bolln
Port: Hilo, Hawaii