Random Thoughts from Pacific Voyager

S/V Pacific Voyager

Who: Barry & Pat Bolln
Port: Hilo, Hawaii
06 February 2006
06 February 2006
06 February 2006
06 February 2006
06 February 2006 | Inside Passage - Vancouver Island
19 December 2005
19 December 2005
19 December 2005
19 December 2005 | British Columbia
08 December 2005 | Campbell River, British Columbia
08 December 2005
08 December 2005
08 December 2005 | Port Townsend, Washington
08 December 2005

Cruising 2005 pt. 3

06 February 2006

May 4, 2005
I had a can of sardines with honey mustard, onions, radishes, jicama, and crackers for lunch. Barry will not come near that stuff.
A huge fish seiner tied up behind us for awhile then left. Do not know what he needed.
We took our first adventure for a few hours out of the marina. Powered down to Cape Mudge then put the sails up and turned back to sail with 2 orcas, killer whales, for about 2 hours. Sometimes they came pretty close. There was a large male and a much smaller female. She breached (jumped & landed on her back) 3 times. The rest of the time they just slowly came up for breaths and were going in the same direction we were going. Barry was very pleased with how the boat performed. Maybe we can go out and anchor at a small island soon.

For 2 nights Barry has been copying charts a friend gave him. This new technology of charts on cd's to use with the navigation programs is used by so many now that if you want a paper chart, they print them only on demand.

We found a church here that we really like and are enjoying meeting the new people. It is too far for me to ride on my bike, so a lady picks us up. Barry rides there on Monday nights for a men's study.

It was 41 degrees this morning and rain. Nice to have the electric heater on. Hard to remember when to eat or sleep as it gets light now at 5am and is still light after 9pm.

A man just came to look at our old solar panels. One may need to be replaced. Salt water was gotten inside over the many years and ruined some of it.

We used our stainless BBQ for the first time last night. It is a used one we bought from a man in Hilo whose boat had gone on the rocks. We had to buy the regulator for it, and it worked fine. It is attached to a pole on the stern and hangs out over the water.

Had a luncheon with the ladies of the Campbell River Yacht Club yesterday. 15 of us had a good time. Barry has the men's lunch today.
Comments
Vessel Name: Pacific Voyager
Vessel Make/Model: Fuji 45
Hailing Port: Hilo, Hawaii
Crew: Barry & Pat Bolln
About: Sammy (stuffed raccoon)
Extra:
Pacific Voyager is a Fuji 45 cutter rigged ketch designed by John Alden. She was built in 1975 in Japan. We bought her in Hawaii at the end of January 2003 and worked extremely hard to get her ready to sail late June 2003. We sailed 27 days to Sitka, Alaska then made it down the Inside Passage [...]

S/V Pacific Voyager

Who: Barry & Pat Bolln
Port: Hilo, Hawaii