SV Panta Rhei Retirement Trip

Vessel Name: Panta Rhei
Vessel Make/Model: Able Apogee 50
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Larry and Karen
Social:
18 September 2017 | Seattle
23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert
15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory
19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK
17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK
03 June 2017 | Seward AK
03 June 2017 | Denali
25 April 2017 | Seward AK
23 March 2017 | Seward, AK
11 March 2017 | Seward, AK
23 January 2017 | Seward AK
06 December 2016 | Seward AK
12 November 2016 | Seward Alaska
14 October 2016 | Valdez, AK
21 September 2016
05 August 2016 | Seward, AK
26 July 2016 | Whittier, AK
19 July 2016 | Valdez, Alaska
05 July 2016 | Seward, Alaska
Recent Blog Posts
18 September 2017 | Seattle

We are back in Seattle

It feels like home. Of course we are not in Silshole. Maybe we will be, someday, but there is a list and we are on it. In the meantime we are at Bainbridge Island Marina.

23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert

The dinghy holds air again

It wasn't very nice of the bear to tear the fabric across a seam. We were worried that we couldn't patch it but tried anyway. The glue had a job to do and it did it!

15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory

A Grizzly Bear damaged our dinghy

We were visiting the Anan Bear Observatory south of Wrangell. It is one of the best places to visit in all of SE Alaska BECAUSE it has bears. But (as we learned) there is a dark side to this bear concentration. And of course, there is a story to tell.

19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK

Moving On

"No matter where you go, there you are" (unknown reference). By now we have been there and done that. Most recently that included Cannery Cove on Admiralty Island. The photo shows the quiet grandeur of the setting with Ron and Suzie's boat SV Tango in the foreground. It has been like that for the last [...]

17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK

We are in Hoonah, SE Alaska now

We got something resembling a high pressure ridge so we moved expeditously across the Gulf of Alaska. The crossing took three days and weather stayed as forecast. That was a very good thing. The weather changes in the far north far more rapidly and dramatically than we ever experienced in the more southern [...]

03 June 2017 | Seward AK

Crossing the Gulf of Alaska

We are still in Seward, AK. Now that spring has come, why not start south?

An accident sends us in search of emergency medical care

27 March 2011 | San Blas, Mexico
Larry Nelson
We managed the trip from Chacala without incident, including the difficult and shallow portion into the marina at San Blas. We arrived about 12:30 pm local time and determined that the marina office wasn't open. Later we remembered that it was Sunday and that they wouldn't be available until Monday. But, for the wrong reasons, we decided to have lunch aboard and then recheck the marina office to settle our slip fees before going into town. Karen suggested hamburgers, something I like a lot. It was too windy to barbeque them so Karen fried them. She elected to throw the grease and hamburger leavings over for the fish instead of putting them down the drain. Somehow she missed placing her foot on the back transom of the boat, causing her to fall into the backstay. This sort of thing happens all the time. We call them "boat bites". But this time Karen took a huge chunk of skin off her left arm. Skin turns out to be pretty thick, and incidentally include fat. These are things I know but would rather not see. This was one ugly wound.

We left immediately for the marina office where an employee (Miguel) volunteered a pickup truck to take us into the hospital. The hospital didn't have any doctors at its emergency care clinic. They would come in half an hour (but this is Mexico so you can't take that too seriously). There was an urgent care facility about a block and a half away. We got there just as Ricardo, the doctor, was coming back from lunch. He didn't speak any english but he set about caring for Karen with practiced ease. Without an assistant he managed the entire setup, procedure, and clean up. I've posted a few pictures. He did all the steps that we would see in the United States and we were in the right place. His tool sets were sterilized and ready and prepackaged. He had the anticeptic and irrigation water. He used a wastebasket for the collection of the runoff. It was instant care. Cost? nothing. We ended up giving him some money for the antibotics and pain medications that he provided to us before we left. We volunteered it, it was not required. Paperwork? none at all. Miguel waited for us outside in the truck and took us back to our boat. I wonder what would have been his experience if this same accident happened to him when he was visiting the US? Another thing to realize is that this is a LITTLE, IMPOVERISHED town. This is NOT a resort community. It is famous only for its no see um's. The community gives BASIC a new level of understanding. Yet everyone here is friendly and helpful. There is a theft problem (which is why we are at the marina) which tends to keep cruisers away. So there aren't a lot of gringo's here.

It took about an hour total before Karen was resting in bed on the boat. Larry walked back to town and brought home a lobster dinner for her. (3 large lobsters were $350 pesos, about $30 USD).

Tomorrow we will take the jungle river tour. they say it is the thing that must be done here.
Comments

About & Links